Advertisement

Slay or Kill

Started by November 03, 2013 11:10 AM
17 comments, last by Moe091 10 years, 10 months ago

"War" or "military kinetic action" ?

Of course the "war" is better. But in this case, the difference is clear even to me.
But in the case of kill/slay I do not understand deep difference (especially in the comfort of sound), even though you may be evident. That's why I'm here.

Neither Dig Steal Kill or Dig Steal Slay rolls of the tongue, because of the short words and pauses.

Try and say them five times, fast:

Dig Steal Kill Dig still kll dig sill kh...

Dig steal slay dig slteel say sdig...

Counter-strike / Call of Duty / Minecraft / etc are all much easier to say. They "flow" better, so you don't get tongue-tied trying to say them fast.

Battlefield on the other hand is another one that is a bit awkward to say a lot, so my friends call it BF.

Battlefield batterfield batterfull baffle...

Because they're awkward phrases to say, people won't say them, they'll use the abbreviations instead.

Out of the abbreviations, Diss is better than Disk, because it's already a slang word for "to insult", where as disk is a word for a round thing.

Out of: "Hey wanna play insults?" and "Hey, wanna play with round things?", to me the insult-game sounds more fun than the round-thing-game laugh.png

Personally, I'd try to come up with a name with a noun in it and an adjective or adverb, instead of a bunch of verbs thrown together.

Digger killers. Shovel Slayers. Sandpit swordfight. Dirt wars. Thief Killers. Muddy fortress. Dwarvern heist. Miner wars (that's already a game tongue.png). Six feet blunder.

Cow-ess for counter strike? I haven't heard that one before, but it makes sense I guess biggrin.png My friends call it see-ess.

Advertisement

Random ideas off the top:

• Miner's Might
  • Squared-Off
  • Marching Cubes of War
  • 6-Sided Slaughter
  • Shovel Force
  • Dig, Dominate (Dig2Dominate? Dig, Destroy, Dominate [3D]? Though such names aren't really... comfortable.)
  • WarCube
  • Voxhell
  • Brine (Some sort of reference to Herobrine is an amusing anti-hero tie-in to Minecraft that fits with a PvP focus.)

I liked Six Feet Blunder.

Out of all the poll options I prefer "dig n kill", but I agree there is probably room for improvement. I like tychon's "six sided slaughter" very much, though the game would have to really revolve around the cubic aspect of voxels for it to be relevant. Marching cubes of war is probably too esoteric though tongue.png

“If I understand the standard right it is legal and safe to do this but the resulting value could be anything.”

Clods of War? :D

"Dig-n-Kill" sound like you're a gravedigger doing things out of order. "Steal-n-Kill" sounds like you're mindlessly stealing and killing with no thinking or reasoning involved. IMO, you can't just string together a bunch of functions that you do in the game to make a name. "Minecraft" gets away with it because it's not a real word, it rolls off the tongue easily, and it gives you the general idea of the game. You have to try to figure out how to best describe the general idea of your game and at the same time, entice people to play it. Sometimes you don't even have to describe what kind of game it is. "Halo" doesn't tell you anything about how the game is played, but it's short, sounds cool and it's easy to say. "Call of Duty" and "Counter-Strike" generate images of soldiers, war, and military action. IMO, the name sells the game before anyone even plays it.

As a side note, you can't really generate a nickname for the game. People will call it what they want. Even on this thread we have 2 different nicknames for Counter-Strike. It's good that you're thinking about it because it might help generate a good name for your game, but don't count on people using your nickname.

Advertisement

a person could always make an FPS and call it "Imma Kill'n Foos, Wit Mah Gatt"...

then have it set in WWII or something.

or, maybe "One Man Army" in reference to the gameplay.

or "Gatt Attack" or "Guns A Shootn" or similar, basically, describing what happens in game.

note: these are deliberately bad names.

no good suggestions though.

I also have a game with a Minecraft-like world structure (and FPS gameplay), but currently it is formally named "Metalloid", but I end up more often referring to it by the name I am using for the engine ("BGBTech"), which has indirectly been used also for referring to the project development in general (basically just me by myself), and to some related technologies (some audio/video compression formats and video processing tools and similar, used some for assets and asset-creation stuff, ...).

but, at the moment, it is more of a "no one cares anyways" situation.

(seems all sometimes like a big pile of uselessness and suck...).

Marching cubes of war is probably too esoteric though

Pfft.

Simple answer - Dig Steal Slay. that sounds best and "Let's play some DSS" sounds best.

Everyone else already covered all the other points

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement