Advertisement

Slay or Kill

Started by November 03, 2013 11:10 AM
17 comments, last by Moe091 10 years, 10 months ago

Hi friends.
My native language is not English. Help solve the problem with the name of the game.
Please explain the difference between these words and tell me which one is best to use the name of online PvP game. Players will fight with swords.

Generally, this voxel game with the ability to dig. Well, you understand, the game is the successor of Mc.

Which is better:
"Dig Steal Slay"; [DiSS/DSS]
"Dig Steal Kill"; [DiSK/DSK]
"Dig Slay Steal"; [DiSS/DSS]
"Dig Kill Steal"; [DiKS/DKS]
"Steal-n-Kill";
"Dig-n-Kill"?

Pay attention to the abbreviated name - it is also important.

Slay and kill are basically the same, but "slay" is more explicit and violent. To slay someone is to kill them in a battle, or kill them violently, or to kill people in great numbers.

Diss is slang for "insult" -- "He diss'ed me" means "he disrespected me" / "he insulted me".

Disk is a round object, or a DVD/CD/hard drive.

Diks is like dicks/penis...

DSS/DSK/DKS are meaningless (unless you add a vowel into them, like the "i" above).

Advertisement

Slay and kill are basically the same, but "slay" is more explicit and violent. To slay someone is to kill them in a battle, or kill them violently, or to kill people in great numbers.

Thanks for the reply. So what better name?

Maybe you should rethink your game idea. There are probably a million people thinking they can simply copy Minecraft and people were interested in that, but if its just a clone where the programmer is not even able to choose a good name him/herself people wont play it. You need something different to make people interested.

There is a good link: http://rampantgames.com/blog/?p=6609. Also take a look at the other linked story there.

Maybe you should rethink your game idea.

Programmer - the creator of the game logic. Game logic is not tied to the language or nationality. And I'm not starting a project with inventing the name / drawing gui or arts. Code written for half a year, the project is in the alpha version and is ready to be shown to the public.
I will have to your suggestion about changing direction, but please tell me what name you think is best?

None of them feels appealing to me, its just a list of verbs and a name is a noun. I would more likely think of something made with RPG-Maker when seeing it and not a Minecraft clone.

Advertisement

None of them feels appealing to me, its just a list of verbs and a name is a noun.

I have to agree. All very generic sounding to me. I would try to come up with a better label overall. However if it MUST contain kill/slay, I vote for slay. Sounds less vague and thoughtless (though they are very similar); plus slay just slides off the tongue better.

I'm not very good at coming up with names either though, so I can't really help you furthersad.png

“Slay” often has an implicit relationship with swords due to fictional medieval times in which dragons were slain by knights wielding swords. You don’t really slay a dragon with anything else.

But in more modern times, samurai do not “slay” their enemies via katana, they “strike them down”.

When it comes to “kill” vs. “slay”, it depends on the period in which your game takes place and possibly cultural factors, though “kill” never wins against “slay” in regards to swords. “Strike”, “Slash”, and “Jab” are other potentials but none implicitly indicate death, and some can refer to knives or other sharp objects besides swords.

Also, it is not clear what you mean by “Steal”.

“Steal” is mainly a verb meaning to take something without permission.

“Steel” is a type of metal used to create swords.

If you still want to refer to swords, it’s “Steel”.

L. Spiro

I restore Nintendo 64 video-game OST’s into HD! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCtX_wedtZ5BoyQBXEhnVZw/playlists?view=1&sort=lad&flow=grid

“Slay” often has an implicit relationship with swords due to fictional medieval times in which dragons were slain by knights wielding swords. You don’t really slay a dragon with anything else.

Thanks for the reply.
Of course, I'm not so illiterate to confuse steel and steal.
And I have studied examples of the use of these similar words (kill and slay) in different contexts. But to me it is very important to evaluate not only the names of the meaning, but also in sound and spelling.
Is it better to read in large letters: Dig Steal Kill or Dig Steal Slay?
Or as it is more convenient to say to a friend:
"Let's go play in DSK"
"Let's go play in DSS"
"Let's go play in DiSK"
"Let's go play in DiSS"
For example, all of my friends pronounce, Counter Strike (?ka?n.t?r stra?k) as: CS [ka? es] !! not [si? es]

"War" or "military kinetic action" ?

"I AM ZE EMPRAH OPENGL 3.3 THE CORE, I DEMAND FROM THEE ZE SHADERZ AND MATRIXEZ"

My journals: dustArtemis ECS framework and Making a Terrain Generator

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement