Advertisement

Is gaming on pc dying?

Started by October 23, 2013 06:55 PM
25 comments, last by Meatsack 10 years, 10 months ago

Probably some people missunderstood me,and i cans see why.When I say pc gaming is dying,i'm not saying that in a couple of years,there will be 0 new pc games,what i'm saying,is that big companies that produce great games are starting to forget about the pc.

Well it's easy enough to understand from a developer perspective - with console game you don't have to worry about the hundreds of different system configurations the players are gaming on. You know exactly how the game will run in thousands of living rooms. Still, with user created content and indie games on the rise (and the very exciting prospect of VR headsets that don't suck on the horizon) I don't think pc gaming will go away any time soon. (plus who doesn't love a good RTS game?)

Advertisement

You talk about VR headsets,why do you think xbox or playstation won't support them in the future?

Sure,you'll have rts and strategy games + indies but what about games like Gta V,Watch Dogs etc.Sure,we're still gonna get those at some point,and say what you want,but the tendency of big companies is moving toward consoles.

I only hope that the new SteamMachines will help resurect the pc completely.By merging pc+console,and allowing you to play however you want,it will solve all issues.The only problem would be that some companies might not be tempted to port their games.

Sure there may be a trend towards console releases but I feel like developers would just release it on as many platforms as possible unless it's a certain type of game (I don't want to play starcraft on a playstation nor MGS on a computer for example) - I guess I just don't see console games as a threat to pc gaming since they each have their own things to offer.

The VR thing is kind of an exception in that both keyboard and controller stick out like a sore thumb when you're using your head to look around - hopefully we'll evolve to something akin to a mocap suit or maybe people will start putting omni treadmills in their living rooms.

Really it's all just speculation so my guess is as good as yours but I'm not too worried yet :)

PC game did have a big drp around 5 or 6 years agobut it seems to me that at the moment it is having a bit of a Renaissance.

I think developers are more likely to port their games over to PC now that making ports should be easier with the consoles being x86 and all. PC will always have indie games at the very least anyways.

Advertisement

Most industries are cyclical. This includes games. There is a constant ebb and flow. There is a natural draw to the popular and the unexplored, and that is happening elsewhere right now.

Ever since the first personal computer came out there has been a demand for entertainment with it. The 1970s saw text adventures and simple graphical games, people want to be entertained.

Sometimes the demand is huge, other times the demand is less, but the demand for entertainment is always present.

Right now there are many exciting things going on in other places. Mobile devices are incredibly popular. There are completely untapped markets in brand new devices like Google Glass and hobby devices like Ouya and Raspberry Pi. And there is a new generation of living room game consoles is just days away from launch.

So yes, if you are part of the planning committee in a major studio right now your focus is away from the PC. Hopefully you are finishing (or just completed) your first PS4 and XBoxOne titles, possibly have a few games in the various mobile app stores, and have some research spikes on Glass and Ouya and RPi. Most of the money is outside the PC right now because there is such a high reward potential; why risk your money for a 5% reward when you can be an early entry and gamble to get a get 10000+% reward?

The PC market isn't dead. It is just doing one of the seasonal ebbs that have existed for about forty years now. Right now there are some other markets that are extremely attractive and have the mainstream attention. But as long as people have fancy desktop and laptop computers, there will continue to be a demand for entertaining software on them.

Is gaming on pc dying?

I hope not, I just bought a new graphics card.

-Mark the Artist

Digital Art and Technical Design
Developer Journal

If anything it's more the case that PCs themselves are dying. So many people don't actually need a PC as a general-purpose device any more; smart phones and tablets are perfect for those who just want to browse the web, update their Facebook or whatever, get email, etc. There's nothing to indicate that this trend won't continue, and if someone's interested in games beyond just casual stuff, it doesn't really make sense to go to the expense of buying a PC for them.

Direct3D has need of instancing, but we do not. We have plenty of glVertexAttrib calls.

Since between 2002-ish to about 2008 or so, people have been saying the PC game industry is dying. Around 2009, almost everyone recognized that things had turned around because of Steam, Impulse, and the great revival of indie game developers. Now it's only been growing dramatically year after year.

So no, it's not 'dying'. It might die in the future, but right now there is no signs of decreases and only signs of increase. That doesn't mean it'll stay like that, but until we see evidence confirming otherwise, then any statements about it dying is just speculation about possibilities in the future (for example, the possible decrease in personal computers because of growth of tablets and so on, and how it might possibly affect PC games in the future. Reasonable things to speculate about, as long as we understand they are speculations and not facts).

You mentioned exclusives, and "The only stable genre for the pc is the strategy". One of the most profitable genres ever has been the MMO. Exclusive PC territory, with only a few minor exceptions. One of the largest genres of all time has been the FPS genre. The superiority of keyboard+mouse over gamepads in online FPS games is a proven fact; though that won't necessarily ensure FPS games are made for PCs, it does ensure a large group of hardcore gamers prefer the keyboard and mouse, creating a viable market for PC ports of FPSs, if nothing else.

So we have (at the least):

• A stranglehold on the strategy market (RTS and, less so, the TBS).
  • A stranglehold on MMOs.
  • The most serious, but not the largest, segment of the online FPS market.

(All online genres played competitively or seriously)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement