Advertisement

Is gaming on pc dying?

Started by October 23, 2013 06:55 PM
25 comments, last by Meatsack 10 years, 10 months ago

The amount of exclusives for consoles is growing every year.The only stable genre for the pc is the strategy,the rest of them,all are slowly moving to the console.

Right now,we are still lucky cause there are so many tools to make games for pc.But what happens if those tools become available for consoles too?(yes,most of them work on consoles,but you'll have a hard time with licensing).

I think that in 3-4 years,we're gonna have nothing left for pcs.

Curious, I decided to google search whether PC sales were decreasing. Turns out many articles such as this one say they are increasing: http://www.techspot.com/news/52070-pc-game-sales-hit-20-billion-last-year-no-signs-of-slowing.html

I think that in 3-4 years, PC game sales will still be strong, and we will have a variety of games for it including some of the ones on consoles.
Advertisement

no, gaming on pc will never be died

because pc's are going to be advanced and advanced with many features added to them

when you can't see well like me, you can't test your applications and you can't read something

Github

When the Xbox/PS2 came out, the question was asked, Is PC gaming dying?

When the Xbox360/PS3 came out, the question was asked, Is PC gaming dying?

Now we have the XboxOne/PS4 coming out, and the question is being asked, Is PC gaming dying?

The answer has been the same each time, and it isn't about to change anytime soon.

gaming on the pc is dying,

rock music / movies / video games are corrupting our youth,

next year will be the year of the linux desktop.

We've heard those statements for years and at the same time Linux is hovering around 1-2%, people keep growing up just fine and PC game sales have been increasing year by year if you look at total revenue or number of games released.

The day consoles cease to be highly controlled platforms they will no longer be consoles.

[size="1"]I don't suffer from insanity, I'm enjoying every minute of it.
The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!

PC gaming IS dying. Any PC game made today will eventually not sell and barely anyone will ever play them anymore! They will be completely replaced with something different!

They will be replaced by newer, more interesting lines of PC games produced with new tools and ideas, and most likely take advantage of better hardware that will allow things that couldn't be done before.

Along with newer console and mobile games, and players will shift between them as various things strike their fancy.

Old Username: Talroth
If your signature on a web forum takes up more space than your average post, then you are doing things wrong.
Advertisement

If PC Gaming were a human, it would suffer from the disease known as imminent death syndrome. It's very serious. More information about the disease, even if not this particular case, can be found here.

PC gaming may not be dying, but it is certainly changing. For the last 20 or so years, "PC gaming" meant playing on a desktop with a kb/m and most likely on some sort of Microsoft OS.

These days more and more people are actually gaming on Macs or Linux... steam support being one of the drivers.

Now with the advent of Steam machines and so on... well is that still "pc gaming"?

The future for pc gaming is a little uncertain, but not because it's under threat from consoles; the latest iteration of which has spectacularly failed to impress people. Oh, they'll still sell billions, but even before they launch you can already build a more powerful pc for the same money.

PC gaming is in great health. The problem is not the gaming, it's the PC itself.

And I say this as someone who only works on a desktop and doesn't even own a console.

if you think programming is like sex, you probably haven't done much of either.-------------- - capn_midnight

I didn't read through the thread so forgive me for duplicating points others are sure to have made. I have been hearing this "pc gaming is dying" argument for at least ten years now and it's complete bogus. PC gaming has things to offer which console gaming doesn't (and vice versa) - Strategy games, modding, map making, indie developers tend to release to a pc market, etc....

Console gaming may be growing, but that's because gaming as a whole is reaching more and more people everyday and most of those people like the idea of paying 300 bucks once and not having to worry about wether you meet mininum requirements for the next five years. They are not mutually exclusive.

PC gaming might split into casual tablet/web gaming vs. hardcor oculus rift and razr gaming, but it's certainly not going to die.

I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me. I also love pet-breeding games.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement