Advertisement

What do you look for in the games you buy?

Started by September 27, 2013 11:45 PM
25 comments, last by FableFox 10 years, 11 months ago

Polygons mostly.

No 2D games?

Not lately at least.

"I AM ZE EMPRAH OPENGL 3.3 THE CORE, I DEMAND FROM THEE ZE SHADERZ AND MATRIXEZ"

My journals: dustArtemis ECS framework and Making a Terrain Generator

Word of mouth on what is good mostly.

Being a physical board game seems to be a big bonus to getting me to buy a game these days.

Not having an insane/annoying DRM scheme encourages me to buy it. Having one that I didn't know about before buying will leave me telling everyone the game is crap and a waste of money. (Really should have paid more attention to SimCity... I got better value out of a bad farming simulator. At least that I could laugh at.)

Good polish and a good community. Something interesting in concept that is easy to pick up and put down, but possible to keep playing for hours, and doesn't simply look like a complete rehash of something I've played before. I've been playing video games for nearly 20 years now, and find myself becoming less and less interested in bothering to put any time into them due to lack of something new. I also find myself being exceptionally random in the length of time I have open to devote to a game, so 5 minute play sessions are ideally just as viable as playing for an entire evening.

Not having to listen to racial slurs hurled at me by preteens is also a bonus.

Old Username: Talroth
If your signature on a web forum takes up more space than your average post, then you are doing things wrong.
Advertisement
There is a niche group that wants good gameplay. Actually they aren't very niche at all but you get my point. I am part of that group.

I have almost never bought a game unless it's been on my mind for a month and I already had the hardware to play it. It's important to me that I can't predict the game experience, or I can just imagine it and I will never buy it.

I've read about the idea guy. It's a serious misnomer. You really want to avoid the lazy team.

Foremost Linux support. I'll buy today this:

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=MTQ3NTQ

On my wishlist are:

-Metro last night

-Counter Strike Global Offensive

I will most certainly buy a GOOD Indie game. Indie games usually fall within my price range of <$20

Any other (professional) games, I would look for quality, attention to details, and most importantly glitch free. I would hate to pay $50 for games with glitches.

Advertisement

For me, the game must run on a PC and must have an intelligent storyline which is relatively cheerful. No horror, no high fantasy, and no gritty war history or gritty futuristic war, which together seem to make up at least 70% of current games. :P After that I'll look at art, gameplay, and price.

I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me. I also love pet-breeding games.

For me, game world atmosphere.

While I might buy some games on impulse, I'm usually looking for next characteristics:

• Fun, challenging but fair gameplay
  • Good story with at least average characters and vice-versa
  • Replayability

Everything else is just an added bonus. As long as I can honestly enjoy the game, I'm fine with it.

One thing I don't look for is retro-pixel art. Yeah, it was cute when minecraft did it and a few others, but honestly, these days it's everywhere and instead of being interesting or original, it just feels like the developer is either too cheap or too lazy to hire a decent artist.

That's not to say it can't be simple. Limbo was pretty simple but it was beautiful.
if you think programming is like sex, you probably haven't done much of either.-------------- - capn_midnight

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement