Advertisement

What do you look for in the games you buy?

Started by September 27, 2013 11:45 PM
25 comments, last by FableFox 10 years, 11 months ago

Hello. I'm trying to gather some information about gamers' tastes and current trends on the market.

I'm certain most people here are involved in not only developing, but playing games as well.

Are there any qualities that you think are missing in the games you play? Do you feel there is something not being addressed by games in the market?

Fun BUT challenging gameplay, excellent storyline, great music and not something that copies WoW or some shooter FPS in the worst possible way.

This concludes another episode of "Why I no longer play games"

Advertisement

Polygons mostly.

"I AM ZE EMPRAH OPENGL 3.3 THE CORE, I DEMAND FROM THEE ZE SHADERZ AND MATRIXEZ"

My journals: dustArtemis ECS framework and Making a Terrain Generator

My first impression comes from the art. After that i look at the gameplay(must be smooth).

Polygons mostly.

No 2D games?

- - - - -

I mostly look for polish. I don't mind if the graphics are retro (if they purposely use low resolution sprites or textures to convey a style), as long as it's well put together.

Convincing characters and story, refined controls etc. The difficult part is filtering these out in the maelstrom of games from appstores.

Gameplay -> Story 2 most important parts to a game for me

If a game provides with a good game play, its totally a most have.

If a game provides with a good story (The walking dead)"Did that game have lovely ending" If i find games that have that kind of good story, its a most have.

For me personally, graphics are here just to sweet things up, and not the actual point of a game.

Advertisement

I'm not going to lie. I play mostly AAA games on console.

Within that segment of the market, I generally look for games with great atmosphere and storytelling, sequels in my favourite series', or similar games that have refined the mechanics of games that I've enjoyed in the past.

The length of games have no bearing on my choosing to play them, in fact, these days I prefer shorter games (around 10 hours or less) as I rarely have time to play games anymore and prefer to get to the end of the games I do play.

I used to love RPGs in the SNES and PS1 eras, but these days they seem overly complex and the characters and settings don't interest me. Indie RPGs are much more to my liking these days than the AAA variety.

I personally think that most of the AAA companies have fallen into this repetitive trend/model to gain the maximum profit, making the game predictable and boring. But it is yet till an indie (Or a large company, sometimes it happens) company comes up with something new, refreshing and non repetitive gameplay that make me start throwing money at my screen (But nothing happens! biggrin.png ).

Though there is a great hate on it, Minecraft maybe wasn't the first to develop a game of that type, but it was the first to push the idea forward with great thrust, and I respect that (Look at the figures $? ).

But, I would by a game that is infinite, not only multiplayer, but also infinite in single player, take GTA V as an example, I love messing around with the sandbox.

I would look for:

• Gameplay
  • Graphics (Related to gameplay)
  • Story (Not too much, but I do like when you get introduced to e.g. the characters, so you can play in their style.

But, this is just my opinion, and it may differ from others. happy.png

FastCall22: "I want to make the distinction that my laptop is a whore-box that connects to different network"

Blog about... stuff (GDNet, WordPress): www.gamedev.net/blog/1882-the-cuboid-zone/, cuboidzone.wordpress.com/

Gameplay, replayability, if a game is likely to get boring after a single playthrough i won't bother with it (there are enough highly replayable games out there allready occupying my time and the list is growing)
[size="1"]I don't suffer from insanity, I'm enjoying every minute of it.
The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!

For me, the ugly truth is...

it is very much a decision made on impulse. They might as well be wrapped in the shiniest packaging sitting next to the candy bars at the checkout counter at the grocery store. If it has somehow gotten my attention and I think I'll enjoy it, I just might make the investment of money and time. Maybe. If I'm not distracted by something else.

The exceptions are
- Games where I've enjoyed a previous title in a franchise.
- Games that I would buy based on their reputation.

I come to this conclusion based on considering what I do when faced with a wall of game titles, whether that wall is a physical one with actual boxes on it or a virtual one online with a myriad of links to click. I wanted to be as honest with myself as I could as to what it is that gets me to buy a game and that is the answer I have. It's not necessarily game play or genre or storyline or play duration or graphics. It's pretty much as though I expect games to call to me in some way. As a result I probably miss out on a lot of good stuff.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement