Advertisement

I'm not good enough, now what?

Started by September 01, 2013 04:34 AM
9 comments, last by shadowisadog 11 years ago

Edit: My post didn't... well... post... sad.png

I haven't read your previous posts, but it sounds like you're a beginner, forgive me if I've got the wrong impression.

So, you've managed to get hold of an engine that you can't yet use and can't complete, is that correct? That's quite clearly a dead-end for the time being at least. If you want to want to encourage someone to help you're going to have to either front up a lot of cash - which you say you don't have, have a track-record to prove you're worth working with - which if you do have you're being very quiet about, or be an orator an a par with Caesar... Don't be afraid of the "flipping burgers" route, I'd wager the majority of people here have had to do something equally menial as a way of supporting themselves at some stage, I know I certainly have. You're discussing development as a career, right? In that case you have to put survival first and the wonderful dreams about what you want to achieve second, unfortunately.

The point is you need to evaluate what you're capable of producing right now, and if you're not yet able to complete this engine that you want to use then do something else useful until you are. Improve your skills, work on a much (much much) smaller project and see what interest you can get with that, and so on.

Your best bet of that ever happening is to make smaller games to build experience, assemble a team of like minded people once you have the experience to lead them properly, and work to get the engine complete.

Many people I know have taken the approach you describe and failed utterly. Some of them still struggle to this day. Look up Radu Privantu. Additionally, like minded people with the skill won't do it for free, so it's the same, I'll still have to earn the money.
Also, the economy is going to get worse (it will not rebound) if I'm going to do it, I had better hurry.

I hate to be rude, but you fail to see the forest for the trees here.

Many people fail at all sorts of things. It is not the failure that you need to focus on. Giving up is the most sure fire way to never accomplish your dreams and goals.

You said "Look up Radu Privantu" so here is some advice from him:

A. I have a tip for those starting their own MMORPG: Unless you are really experienced, and have an artist, you should start writing a MUD server first. Mud servers require considerably less work than an MMORPG, and no art at all (well, except maybe for some ASCII art). Only after you finish this MUD server think about starting making an MMORPG. And if you are not a programmer, don't even think of starting working at an MMORPG until you at least STUDY some programming books and become familiar with a programming language, such as C/C++. This is because otherwise no one will take you seriously (there are, after all, many people with great ideas; the hard thing is implementing them)

~ http://www.gamedev.net/topic/301023-interview-with-radu-privantu-aka-raduprv-creator-of-eternal-lands/

Starting with small games so that you learn what you are doing is THE path to learn game programming and game design. It is foolish to expect a master piece the first time you put brush to canvas!

If you feel you must "hurry" with game development then I guarantee that you WILL fail. You personally need many years of experience still before you can even handle managing this project.

I could make some company a million dollars, but I can't do anything for my self. Deja-vu. I didn't solve this problem last time either.

No... You can't make a company a million dollars with what you have right now. Every financially stable company I know of would not even consider talking about your engine for fear that they could get sued by you if they happened to somehow make something that you thought was similar to what you showed them (assuming there is something worth taking).

You don't "solve" this problem. The problem isn't one that you have. It is not that you can make a company a million dollars, it is that you really have nothing to offer them right now.

Finishing school isn't an option, financially.

If you do not have money to invest in your education, then you do not have the money to invest in an MMORPG. You are far better off focusing on how to finish your education.

Let me finish with an analogy:

I could have the best cameras on the market and I could have the best film editing software in the world, but that does not mean that I will create a film that people will want to watch. Having the tools does not equate to being able to use them. It is not the tools that make the project, but the developers. It is the same logic that wearing the same shoes as a pro basketball player does not mean you will be good at basketball.

Here is something you should watch that I feel illustrates this point:

https://vimeo.com/70748579

Edit:

Here are my steps for success for you:

1. Work at a job and save money or take loans so that you can finish school.

2. Work on small games and projects so that you develop experience.

3. Build a showcase of completed small games and projects

4. If you are lucky start being good enough to make money off of these projects (although that is not a guarantee)

5. Eventually get the skills required to make the MMORPG game that you want to make

6. Spend years of your life working on it.

There are no shortcuts, so stop looking for them.

Best of luck.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement