Advertisement

EverQuest Next

Started by August 02, 2013 09:35 PM
18 comments, last by NetGnome 11 years, 1 month ago

So, EverQuest Next has been revealed and it was downright amazing, in the true sense of the word. I was quite impressed by what they put together.

Your thoughts?

I knew someone who was working on it. They're at valve now.

As for the game its self... I'll hold off judgement until I've actually played it. Its very easy to make a game look great, and suck ass. Its hard to make a game look great, and play great.

Unless they've spent a lot of time rethinking the questing, raiding, crafting, and other gameplay aspects, it'll just be another "everquest" clone. Which probably won't make the money they hope it will, seeing as how people can get that already from WoW, Everquest, EQ2 (although we'll pretend it doesn't exist), Lineage 2, etc.

In time the project grows, the ignorance of its devs it shows, with many a convoluted function, it plunges into deep compunction, the price of failure is high, Washu's mirth is nigh.

Advertisement

From everything they are showing at SOE Live, yes, they have completely rethought questing, crafting, raiding, and other gameplay aspects. Their use of fully destructible and permanently alterable worlds, plus the combination of the goal oriented and contextually aware Storybricks AI for all the NPCs and game world itself puts it way up there on "doing an MMO right" list. It is definitely not another EQ/WOW clone.

From everything they are showing at SOE Live, yes, they have completely rethought questing, crafting, raiding, and other gameplay aspects. Their use of fully destructible and permanently alterable worlds, plus the combination of the goal oriented and contextually aware Storybricks AI for all the NPCs and game world itself puts it way up there on "doing an MMO right" list. It is definitely not another EQ/WOW clone.

Are you from their PR department? Nothing you've said is a good argument for that their game is good. If you're not from SOE, you've swallowed everything their PR has told you. Storybricks AI is just a name for their AI. What does it do that hasn't been done before?

Everyone claims their game is FULLY destructible before it ships. Afterwards, they don't.

Well all i did was ask for thoughts and offered why I think it is a game worth watching... didnt know simple enthusiasm from the live demo's from yesterday would have such a backfire with such vitriol... :/

So because I was questioning something we haven't even seen released yet, the thread has backfired?

You asked for thoughts, not praise. Calm down.

Advertisement
The guy who wrote the voxel engine they are using has an informative blog that discusses voxels and procedural content.

I never pay attention to all the hype a game creates.

A good example of a game that fell flat on it's butt would be Guildwars 2 . Huge amount of hype about "revolutionary game style" - and it turned out to be a boring grinder, that tries to force the player to buy EXP boosts.

As far as this new EverQuest ? I'll have to wait almost a year before reading unbiased reviews.

I cannot remember the books I've read any more than the meals I have eaten; even so, they have made me.

~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

The guy who wrote the voxel engine they are using has an informative blog that discusses voxels and procedural content.

Amazing, I knew about the blog before, it was pretty much the most advanced thing using voxels that it was out there, and he seemed to have an awesome system for working with it (hooking up several computers to generate the terrain and such).

Hopefully he got a lot of money from SOE so he can keep improving his work.

"I AM ZE EMPRAH OPENGL 3.3 THE CORE, I DEMAND FROM THEE ZE SHADERZ AND MATRIXEZ"

My journals: dustArtemis ECS framework and Making a Terrain Generator

Other than the Voxel engine they are using I am personally interested in the AI. It sounds like it will be cool idk anyone know of anything that comes close to this?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement