Advertisement

Dual-screen via remote-desktop?

Started by July 15, 2013 08:06 PM
3 comments, last by Ravyne 11 years, 2 months ago

Hello there, I have a little challenge for you guys.

So here it goes.

I have a desktop computer (A), a flat screen monitor (S) and a laptop computer (B).

Now, my laptop (B) is going to connect to the first computer (A) via VNC or something of the like.

What I would like is to have my remote desktop on computer B to act as computer A's primary screen, and the flat screen (S) to act like a second monitor to computer A.
Basically, I want my desktop computer (A) to be dual-screen, with screen one on my remotely connected laptop (B), and screen two on the monitor that is directly connected to it (S).

Can anyone think of a way this would work?

Any ideas appreciated, I've been trying to figure out a way for a while. I don't even know if it's possible.

Thanks!

You can mirror a display remotely, but under Windows I do not believe you cannot have it half-local and half-remote.

In a *nix environment with X11-forwarding you can push part of a display to another machine for remote rendering. It would take some effort to get the permissions correct, but you could forward half of the display to another X server on a different machine.

Advertisement

I bought a product called MaxiVista a while back that did this well.

I think this isn't easily possible, since apparently Windows turns off the graphics card (or disables some features?) when you use remote desktop. At least that's what I'm seeing, or what I believe that I'm seeing.

First, when I remote into my desktop computer from my tablet, the desktop instantly disappears (and reappears on the tablet with icons scrambled) and the logon screen is visible on the monitor. A few seconds later, the monitor goes in power save mode.

But more importantly, when I launch Genetica 4.0 it tells me that my system (i.e. the desktop computer!) does not meet the minimum hardware requirements to render 3D nodes.

I've used a program at work called Dual Desk to view several remote PC's simultaneously. Each remote PC has its own window. If you connected to the laptop with a program like that, you could drag its window to the other screen and maximize it. There is a performance cost because it's basically streaming the remote's video output (and your inputs back to the laptop) to that window, but it's doable.

Writer, Game Maker, Day-Dreamer... Check out all the wonderful things I've thought up at Meatsack's Workshop!

Check out the Current Ranking of Super Gunball DEMO on IndieDB!

Any reason you can't connect the flatscreen to the laptop as well? Most LCDs going even 5 years back or more tend to have at least 2 video inputs. If you do that, you can just run remote desktop in dual-screen mode.

throw table_exception("(? ???)? ? ???");

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement