Advertisement

where do you code when you're not at a computer?

Started by April 21, 2013 08:49 PM
21 comments, last by polyfrag 11 years, 4 months ago
Hello,

I find myself travelling more and more, and imo nothing breaks up a 2 hour train ride up more thanddesigning code that needs to be implemented. That and it can often be more stretching than a crossword or sudoku.

Do you guys find yourself programming when not at a computer? If so where?
:)

Mobile Developer at PawPrint Games ltd.

(Not "mobile" as in I move around a lot, but as in phones, mobile phone developer)

(Although I am mobile. no, not as in a babies mobile, I move from place to place)

(Not "place" as in fish, but location.)

I just scrabble class names and method declarations in a piece of paper... "High level design" if you like. It doesn't helps a lot though, I rely (for better or worse) on what I remember/think than on my notes, often I write up notes just for the sake of writing up notes, not for reading them later.

Although its good in the sense that I think more about the problems I have to resolve by writing them down.

I do have a netbook with Eclipse around most of the time, but I prefer to code on my desktop (a single core Atom 1.6Ghz isn't quite on the same league as the i5 2500K I have on the desktop).

"I AM ZE EMPRAH OPENGL 3.3 THE CORE, I DEMAND FROM THEE ZE SHADERZ AND MATRIXEZ"

My journals: dustArtemis ECS framework and Making a Terrain Generator

Advertisement

I just scrabble class names and method declarations in a piece of paper... "High level design" if you like. It doesn't helps a lot though, I rely (for better or worse) on what I remember/think than on my notes, often I write up notes just for the sake of writing up notes, not for reading them later.

Although its good in the sense that I think more about the problems I have to resolve by writing them down.

I do have a netbook with Eclipse around most of the time, but I prefer to code on my desktop (a single core Atom 1.6Ghz isn't quite on the same league as the i5 2500K I have on the desktop).

haha, i never get into the nitty gritty of the math. but take it today (on the train) i had to re-write a function a few times after i completed it, because i kept thinking of different possiblities that 'could' happen. True, I could have thought up all the possiblites then wrote the code, but show me a game without 1 bug and ill show you a cat >(*.*)< (yeah thats my lame attempt at a cat)

besides, writing and re-writing code on a train only adds to the 'rollercoster' that is coding anyway (i.e. yay i finished, aww a bug, yay fixed bug, aww another bug....)

(Not "mobile" as in I move around a lot, but as in phones, mobile phone developer)

(Although I am mobile. no, not as in a babies mobile, I move from place to place)

The first thing i thought when i read this was "why would i not be at my computer in the first place?" lol :(

There is a place without computers? Did you found the door to the netherworld!?

"I AM ZE EMPRAH OPENGL 3.3 THE CORE, I DEMAND FROM THEE ZE SHADERZ AND MATRIXEZ"

My journals: dustArtemis ECS framework and Making a Terrain Generator

The first thing i thought when i read this was "why would i not be at my computer in the first place?" lol sad.png

There is a place without computers? Did you found the door to the netherworld!?

I stumbled upon it one day when the power went out

Advertisement

I code in my mind.

“If I understand the standard right it is legal and safe to do this but the resulting value could be anything.”

I code in my mind.

I hate when i do that, garentee no sleep until i solve the problem :/

My head. Designed most of a system of a program that works out StarCraft II build orders when I woke up yesterday.

Apart from that I have my laptop that I specifically got with a smaller screen. It's only 14" so I can take it most places.

On my phone. I wrote the framework of component based entity system for my current game using the memo app on my phone. It surprisingly worked without many bugs. I felt pretty good that day. I still often use my phone to code little things and to work out pseudo code.

Learn all about my current projects and watch some of the game development videos that I've made.

Squared Programming Home

New Personal Journal

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement