Advertisement

My Own Web Server

Started by October 19, 2001 01:32 PM
3 comments, last by cyanide 22 years, 11 months ago
Hi, I have opted to develop my web server as part of my final year engineering project, you can say just another Apache Clone. I know this sounds like reinventing the wheel, but I want to do something that deals with some core linux programming for my project. Do you know any sites/books dedicated to making your own server. Or sites that deals with concepts on binding to a port, using inetd, etc...I want to do this in C/C++. Any little help would be helpful and appreciated. Thanks in advance, San.
[size="1"]----#!/usr/bin/perlprint length "The answer to life,universe and everything";
Programming Linux Applications is a good one. I also recommend getting the big book on Unix Network Programming by Stevens. K&R and Bjarne''s books are both mandatory. A good copy of the RFC for http and html might be handy to have printed out. I''d recommend doing just a static webserver for the time being.. without any mods or what not ..Keep the project relatively simple.

Magnwa
Advertisement
''Begining Linux Programming'' from wrox is a pretty readable book that covers sockets, semaphores, multi process programs, etc etc.

For a more dense, reference approach, I like the book ''Practical UNIX programming.''
The book Linux Programming Unleashed from SAMS has the source code to a minimal web server like app. It is an extremely minimal web server but it might be a good start for your project... the ISBN is: 0-672-31607-2

You will find these examples in the TCP/IP and Socket Programming chapter of the book...

Hope this helps...

"And that''s the bottom line cause I said so!"

Cyberdrek
Headhunter Soft
A division of DLC Multimedia

Resist Windows XP''s Invasive Production Activation Technology!

"gitty up" -- Kramer
[Cyberdrek | ]
Hi ppl,
Thanks Cyberdrek, AP & magnwa for your helpful replies
I''ve copied RFC1945 and RFC2616 and I''ve even prepared a synopsis at
Suggestions Welcome for improvement

For now I think I''ll get some books and start work on a static lookup server.

Thanks again,
Your help is appreciated.
San.
[size="1"]----#!/usr/bin/perlprint length "The answer to life,universe and everything";

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement