Advertisement

Sony and the PS4, I'm Impressed. Your Thoughts?

Started by February 21, 2013 06:14 AM
64 comments, last by warhound 11 years, 6 months ago

I am glad to see the end of the aweful SPU and non unified memory, now to see how much the MS console differs from this though. Also has anyone seen that they actually took the X360 controller as a base for the new Dual shock.

Worked on titles: CMR:DiRT2, DiRT 3, DiRT: Showdown, GRID 2, theHunter, theHunter: Primal, Mad Max, Watch Dogs: Legion

Eh, at this point with the X360 and PS3 having been around for years thye people in the positions where they would be doing that work are already pretty well versed in the PowerPC and SPU assembly.

Not neccesarily most of the developers this generation are now redundant (including at least 3 of Sonys own studios) and when the PS4 is launched they will expect an entire new generation of developers to start making up the numbers (that is if the PS4 takes off at all).

Advertisement

Most excited that they made the controller at least a little ergonomic. Not sure how I feel about the touch pad. Seems like it would be annoying more than anything where it's currently placed.

It seems fine otherwise. Nothing really blew me away, but I wasn't expecting to be blown away. I'm really curious what it's going to cost/look like.

Not neccesarily most of the developers this generation are now redundant (including at least 3 of Sonys own studios) and when the PS4 is launched they will expect an entire new generation of developers to start making up the numbers (that is if the PS4 takes off at all).

Erm... wut?

Yes, a lot of people lost their jobs and a fraction of those might well have left the industry for good but the rest either formed their own studios or joined existing ones in senior positions - their knowledge didn't suddenly evaporate over night.

Also just because there is a new console it doesn't mean that suddenly you staff your company with juniors and try to push out a title... hell if you did that you deserve all the fail that comes your way.

The key people doing the key optimisations are still going to be experianced/senior guys and NOT newbies. Newbies will continue to join the industry and continue to write bad code regardless of the underlaying ISA and these will not be the people doing performance fixes and the like.
(The only difference compared to last gen is that you now have an OoO CPU hiding all the bad code sins... *sigh*)

TLDR; you are wrong.

GDDR5 as main memory. LOVE.

Jaguar cores? I though they were supposed to be the power saving cores from AMD, I'm quite surprised!

Previously "Krohm"

1. They refused to show the actual console, so, knowing Sony and their shadiness, I'm more than confident that the PS4 is going to be a big fat monster.

2. I didn't see the whole event (not interested in big executives talking in 100% buzz words), but the games I did see didn't exactly scream "Next gen." I guess that's to be expected though. Look at the first games that came out for the PS3 and Xbox 360. Most of them were previous gen games with better graphics. Still, very disappointed in the games department.

3. They refused to mention a price, which means (since it's Sony) this thing is gonna be around $500. I'm betting the cheap one that makes no sense to get will be like $450, and the actual real package that everyone will want will be $550. But that's optimism for you.

4. I've been hearing too much about Sony and Microsoft working on ways to prohibit used games from being played on their console. Just because Sony didn't mention anything about it doesn't mean it's not true, yet. I'm not getting a console that restricts me to new purchases only (meaning I can't borrow games either).

I'm not necessarily someone who hates Sony, but I'm used to their garbage. I think they don't know what they're doing, and they're always behind the curve. The PSP was a failure. The PSP Go emphasized Sony's misunderstanding of, well, anything, and I still don't see a reason to get a PS Vita. Not to mention the PSN hacking debacle. Sony's just... well, I'll be waiting quite a while before I buy anything they put out. Not to say that I think Microsoft is any better at this, mind you. I'll be wary of the "720" too.

Advertisement

I'm impressed with Destiny. The PS4 is what I would expect from a next-gen console. However --and I'm not a industry game dev-- I wonder why Sony didn't go with the Cell architecture. The devs have had 6 to 7 years to be familiar with it. I figure a more powerful Cell (and more SPUs) would be in this new console.

And LOL @ Sony still trying to make the Vita relevant. But who knows, they may actually succeed.

I am glad to see the end of the aweful SPU and non unified memory, now to see how much the MS console differs from this though. Also has anyone seen that they actually took the X360 controller as a base for the new Dual shock.

Could there be such a thing as SPU and unified memory? What was so awful about it?

Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.

Without having worked on any of the consoles but hearing stories of development experiences, I really feel like Sony is pushing for a system that is much easier to get started on but still has a place where really good programmers who know what they're doing can show off what they can do. With the PS3 and the Cell, I've heard from many programmers who love working on it precisely because the system is this strange architecture where you really need to work very closely with the hardware to make it scream. However, there definitely hasn't been so much love for the system's development tools. I've read and heard about so many stories where a team who is a cross platform developer will never debug an issue on the PS3 if they have the option since debugging on the PS3 is so much more difficult.

The way I see it, the x86 architecture makes the CPU more familiar to a larger pool of developers. But giving the CPU and GPU access to the same 8 GB of memory of GDDR5 makes me believe they want to keep some of the crazy PPU-SPU coprocessing style programming without as much of the hassle. My only question is, how is GPGPU going to be like on this system? I've heard from many students while I was at school who didn't really like OpenCL. Some liked CUDA much better, but most agreed that these GPGPU implementations were pretty bad at least in terms of the language features and general ease of software development. Is SPU programming at all similar to some of these GPGPU implementations? I feel like SPUs are at least much more general and GPUs are tasked to solve very specific problems and architected in such a way that trying to get them to solve anything other than something that looks like graphics would make it very hard to use for general purpose. Am I wrong here? Would anyone who has experience on the PS3 like to elaborate on Cell programming (or programming on the PS3 as a whole) and give their thoughts on what little we've gathered about the PS4 architecture?

I'm very suspicious about the PS4. x86 CPU, comfortable familiar GPU, plenty of memory with monster bandwidth. It all sounds ... sane. Where is the magical Sony touch? There should be a solid undercurrent of "crazy" and I'm not seeing it. They did hint that there was some special custom work on compute, which was extremely vague and I'd like to know what they did.

That aside, I was generally impressed. The continuous video recording and social stuff is an odd tack to take, but I'm not opposed to it. Just curious to see if it catches on. Also glad to see that Move hasn't entirely died (although MM's sculpting thing was just weird). Generally it was a very solid presentation, though I don't think they said anything on pricing or availability... I'm waiting to see Microsoft's sales pitch but it'll need to be a strong one.

SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.

1. They refused to show the actual console, so, knowing Sony and their shadiness, I'm more than confident that the PS4 is going to be a big fat monster.

I'm continually surprised by the people making a big deal over not seeing an empty plastic box on the stage. In this day in age there's so many aspects to a console: the online ecosystem, the user experience, the developer platforms, the hardware specs, the games itself...is the look console itself really so important compared to those things?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement