Advertisement

racing games (horses or other mounts, preferably)

Started by October 29, 2012 08:10 PM
1 comment, last by sunandshadow 11 years, 10 months ago
Does anyone have a good racing game to recommend? The kind where the player steers their creature around the track vs. AI opponents, I'm not interested in the kind where you only watch an automated race. Ideally, the kind where the player breeds or captures their mounts before racing them. I'll take recommendations for vehicle-based games if you experimentally engineer vehicles from an assortment of parts in a process that's at least vaguely like breeding. Not interested in games where you just drive a car and buy upgrades, though, too normal for my taste lol.

I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me. I also love pet-breeding games.

That's very specific! It seems that usually racing type games are either more management focused - eg training/breeding and then an automated race - or action focused - controlling mount during race. There used to be a PHP browser game called Ludus Equinus that was the former, with a heavy lineage/breeding and training component, but I don't think it's active anymore. I hope you post here if you find something; it sounds like something I'd enjoy as well.
Advertisement
Yeah it's pretty specific, and don't seem to be a combination that exists in many games. I have been replaying Final Fantasy 7 and the chocobo racing sidequest/minigame in there was making me crave something similar (but with a better breeding system, because that one sucked). Other similar games I've seen... IIRC Azure Dreams had a racing minigame, though I don't remember exactly how much control you had over steering &etc. The MMO Wizard 101 has a minigame where you run your pet around a maze as fast as you can, as well as an actual race minigame which is less fun IMO, but the breeding in that is even worse. Recently the facebook game Horse Academy was recommended to me, but you only control your horse's speed, you don't get to steer them. There was a monster racing MMO concept open for community participation by a fairly large game company several years ago, but it never went anywhere interesting.

I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me. I also love pet-breeding games.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement