Advertisement

I hate this site

Started by September 12, 2012 02:44 AM
36 comments, last by Cornstalks 12 years ago
I feel like there is a sense of "elitism" on these forums, but its easy to shrug off. If you hate it that much, don't bother visiting the site (or forums).
When I first came to this site, I thought "jeez, everyone here is an arrogant jerk!", but then I just realised that it's a geek forum on the internet...
Plenty of other email groups or forums are much worse with the arrogance, with simple topics being turning into flaming bikesheds.

I find that if you just default to assuming good intentions behind everyone's posts, then you get along just fine.

I wonder why this place is the most popular game development community.

> EAT ROPE

On a more serious note, if you were specific about what you didn't like and what the problems were, people could either a) change them in the community, or b) explain to you why things are the way they are. Your opinion is fine. You can hate it all you want. But if that's all you have to say, my response is "Cool story, Hansel," because otherwise I'm not sure how you want me to respond (hence my random response).
[size=2][ I was ninja'd 71 times before I stopped counting a long time ago ] [ f.k.a. MikeTacular ] [ My Blog ] [ SWFer: Gaplessly looped MP3s in your Flash games ]
Advertisement
Reflexus: "I wonder why this place is the most popular game development community"

Same reason why McDonalds hamburgers are the most popular in the world. They're not the best quality, far from it, anyone can make a better hamburger at home. gamedev is like the McDonalds of game/graphics programming, they are popular for reasons other than quality, mainly advertisements and accessibility. I remember when this site came out in the 90s. I hate certain aspects of this site, as well, such as its poor design and organization that could easily be improved in 5 minutes.

However, there is a wealth of GOOD information here. There are MANY excellent game/graphics programmers who share/contribute code here, although gamedev makes it impossible to find.

I hate the way these newbie HL (C++/C#/Java) so-called "programmers" today write code - most of them are mindless followers who are incapable of thinking for themselves, they do what their master Microsoft tells them to without question - BUT I respect EVERYONE who makes a useful application or fun game in ANY language.

If you want to learn REAL PROGRAMMING concepts - ASM and machine code - from a REAL OLD SCHOOL GRAPHICS programmer, please visit my game/graphics programming site: http://sungod777.zxq.net/

If you want to learn REAL PROGRAMMING concepts - ASM and machine code - [...]

I'm gonna nitpick this and say that real programming concepts have little to do with assembly and machine code. Real programming concepts tend to be language agnostic. Assembly can be useful to learn, and I'd encourage everyone to (at some point in their programming career) learn at least just a little assembly, just for the heck of seeing how processors work and appreciating them. But I'd argue that you don't have to learn assembly to learn real programming concepts, and much less so for machine code.
[size=2][ I was ninja'd 71 times before I stopped counting a long time ago ] [ f.k.a. MikeTacular ] [ My Blog ] [ SWFer: Gaplessly looped MP3s in your Flash games ]

organization that could easily be improved in 5 minutes

How would you improve site organization? If you think it could be improved with 5 minutes work, why don't you suggest some of the changes so we can consider making them?

- Jason Astle-Adams

"real programming concepts have little to do with assembly and machine code" - Who are you to talk about real programming? It's NOT about one thing, there are aspects involved in game/graphics programming: design, art, programming. It all depends on what you're doing. If you're making a game/graphics compiler, then you MUST KNOW ASM, machine code, compiler specifics and graphics. If you're writing your own software rendering code, it's extremely important that you know ASM very well in order to take advantage of modern CPU instructions like SSE. I don't have time to get into details right now. However, I have stated clearly that I respect ANYONE who makes a useful application or fun game in ANY language.

jbadams: "How would you improve site organization? If you think it could be improved with 5 minutes work, why don't you suggest some of the changes so we can consider making them?" - Why should I give my ideas and designs? Why not just make a better game/graphics programming site? If you actually read my post, you would see that I defended gamedev by saying that there are MANY GOOD game/graphics programmers here who have useful information.

"what specifically do you hate?" - Good question, jbadams. I don't think he can answer it =)
Advertisement
Who are you to talk about real programming?
That's a very strange thing to say...
What qualifies a person to be allowed to talk about "real programming"?
Hogman: Cornstalks made the statement about "real programming" and I merely responded. He said: "real programming concepts have little to do with assembly and machine code". So, I asked what authority he has to say "real programming" is? Understand? =)
Exactly, that was my question to him. What authority does he have to say what "real programming" is?
Understand?
No, I'm wondering why you've got "the authority" to state an opinion, but your critics don't have "the authority" to dispute them?

I mean, look - I can stack your two replies on top of each other to make you shoot down your own statement:
If you want to learn REAL PROGRAMMING concepts - ASM and machine code[/quote]
Who are you to talk about real programming? It's NOT about one thing, there are aspects involved in game/graphics programming: design, art, programming. It all depends on what you're doing.[/quote]You say that ASM is a "real programming" topic, then someone else says (paraphrasing) "real programming is bigger than any specific subject, real programming transcends language", then you needlessly attack their authority (implying you are an authority?) and make the same point they just made.

N.B. a 3rd party (not involved in the thread so far) reported your original post for trolling and the sungod link as being fake... Perhaps you need to read it again?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement