Advertisement

Ubisoft removing drm

Started by September 07, 2012 09:20 PM
6 comments, last by Servant of the Lord 12 years ago

Did you hear about it? What to you think?

Perhaps you misread.

They continue to have DRM and anti-piracy controls.

They have dropped the always-online provision, and did so several months ago.
Advertisement
It did seem a bit too good to be true
It would seem like it will
http://uk.gamespot.com/news/ubisoft-drops-old-drm-system-6394630
it will, what?
Remove drm it looks like
Advertisement

Perhaps you misread.

They continue to have DRM and anti-piracy controls.

They have dropped the always-online provision, and did so several months ago.

Is the offline mode feature-complete aswell in all their games ? (I remember quite many games having single player features that were only available while online for no good reason) and the offline and online modes being separate, (so saves from the online mode wouldn't work while in offline mode and vice versa).

Is this change for future games only or have they fixed their older games, (HoMM6 for example).
[size="1"]I don't suffer from insanity, I'm enjoying every minute of it.
The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!
Here's gamasutra's article: Can Ubisoft shed it's DRM bad guy image?

Remove drm it looks like

It will remove their extra-restrictive DRM, but still have the same DRM they had before they added the restrictive DRM.

This is not, "DRM-free', this is, "Basic DRM plus added bonuses when you are logged in". They have their basic DRM, then instead of having super restrictive DRM that punishes players when they are outside the restrictions, like they tried over the past two years, instead they have super-restrictive DRM that rewards players when they are within it.

It's a change of stance: From "Basic DRM + Always-on and punish when offline" to "Basic DRM + Always on and reward when online".
They want software-as-a-service, to combat piracy, but their users balked to being punished for refusing to stay online when playing. Now, they still want software-as-a-service to combat piracy, but are instead offering rewards to staying online, instead of punishments when offline.

'least-ways, that's how I understood it.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement