🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Need more help

Started by
7 comments, last by Goober King 22 years, 8 months ago
Ok I set up linux to use about 7g of HD space on my drive. The rest is partitioned off into windows FAT32 file partions to run with windows. Now The linux partion is a linux native drive but how do I get suff from the rest of my system? I know Linux understands FAT32 and I am going to need stuff I down load for it. My modem won''t seam to work with linux and as much trouble as the sites make it sound I don''t think it will be anytime soon.
------------------------------------------------------------- neglected projects Lore and The KeepersRandom artwork
Advertisement
Are you referring to mounting your FAT32 partition in Linux? You can do that with the mount command, something like: ''mount -t vfat /dev/hda0 /mnt/disk''. If you want to automatically mount it at boot, you need to add a line to your /etc/fstab.
Crap, that was me.
ReactOS - an Open-source operating system compatible with Windows NT apps and drivers
I'm not sure if thats what I mean but
I'll give it a try and find out.
The deal is my modem wont work under
linux so if I want to download something
for linux I need to be able to get it into
it. I don't have a burner and most things
wont fit onto a floppy.

Ok, that didn't work. I'm still SOL

Edited by - Goober King on October 11, 2001 2:21:38 AM
------------------------------------------------------------- neglected projects Lore and The KeepersRandom artwork
1.) Is VFAT support either built into your kernel or available as a loadable module?

2.) Are you familiar with the mount command? (If not, type ''man mount'' and start reading.)

3.) Are you familiar with the /etc/fstab file? (If not, type ''man fstab'' and start reading.)

4.) Do you know how to rebuild your kernel? (If not, and it may be necessary, go to the LDP and find the Kernel-HOWTO.)

5.) Find a dedicated Linux support forum; this forums is really oriented towards Linux game programming and the people here may not be the best resource for your every question. manfiles are your friend, as are HOWTOs (/usr/doc/HOWTO/en/html) and your distro''s website.) Also check out Linux.org and Linux.com.
quote: Original post by Goober King
My modem won''t seam to work with linux and as much
trouble as the sites make it sound I don''t think it will be
anytime soon.

If your modem is a WINMODEM, you can forget about getting it to work on linux at least, it''s not a priority for the kernel programmers. WINMODEMs say it in the name, it''s a windows based modem as it uses part of the computer processor to do the work a normal modem does. So when you install a WINMODEM on a windows computer, the drivers create a new thread reserved for the modem...

If your modem isn''t a winmodem, Linux should support it without any doubts.

Anyhow, these are my views.. Wanted to point this out...

"And that''s the bottom line cause I said so!"

Cyberdrek
Headhunter Soft
A division of DLC Multimedia

Resist Windows XP''s Invasive Production Activation Technology!

"gitty up" -- Kramer
[Cyberdrek | ]
quote: Original post by Oluseyi
1.) Is VFAT support either built into your kernel or available as a loadable module?

2.) Are you familiar with the mount command? (If not, type ''man mount'' and start reading.)

3.) Are you familiar with the /etc/fstab file? (If not, type ''man fstab'' and start reading.)

4.) Do you know how to rebuild your kernel? (If not, and it may be necessary, go to the LDP and find the Kernel-HOWTO.)

5.) Find a dedicated Linux support forum; this forums is really oriented towards Linux game programming and the people here may not be the best resource for your every question. manfiles are your friend, as are HOWTOs (/usr/doc/HOWTO/en/html) and your distro''s website.) Also check out Linux.org and Linux.com.

I think you''re going a little overboard here. Most distros of Linux, do support VFAT now. Unless it''s a verry old distro.

"And that''s the bottom line cause I said so!"

Cyberdrek
Headhunter Soft
A division of DLC Multimedia

Resist Windows XP''s Invasive Production Activation Technology!

"gitty up" -- Kramer
[Cyberdrek | ]
I'm using RH 7.1 . Originaly I installed it on an empty
FAT32 partition. I didn't want a preformance hit so I
reformated the drive for linux native and made a linux swap
partition(took me awhile to find out I needed to do that.)
So it does have the ability somewhere in there I just need
to figure out how to make use of it. On the modem front
I keep hearing about the whole winmodem thing but don't know
enough to know if I have one. I do know that its an old
zoom 56k fax modem #2925l and seems to have some sort of
Lucent chipset. At first it said it couldn't find the modem
if tried to dial up. Then I fiddled with it and it said It
found the modem and it was ready. When I try to dial up then
it just sits there on Init. Or if I use the debug button It
said something about not being able to initalize it. I'm liking
th OS and everthing else works great just the modem. I still
have mucho learning to do since I'm all of 2 days into it.
It already has everything I need and most of the games
I play are avalible on it or have sucssesfuly run under it.
I would like to use it for all my internet and multiplayer
needs if I can. If not maybe I just nab a different modem.

By the way while I don't want to be annoying asking thousands of
questions I would say that this site has been more helpful
so far than what eles I've found thus far. I think everyone
is more than helpful here.

Edited by - Goober King on October 11, 2001 11:56:24 AM
Ok I''ve finaly resolved the mouting issue and the modem thing
may be a dead issue all together. While Messing with KDE for the
first time I clicked on the IRQ info and it told me it was a
winmodem which from what I hear brings no hope.
Thanks for the input.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement