🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

change desktop settings outside the GUI

Started by
6 comments, last by Goober King 22 years, 9 months ago
I just installed Red Hat last night and as luck would have it my monitor died a few hours after the install. The back up monitor won''t support the screen res I selected and I cant see in GNOME. I''ve toggled out to the terminal and tried to kill X and tried to press Ctrl+Alt+Backspace but both just make alot of screen garbage and creates another instance. I wouldn''t bother with it but Its the only reason I can think of that I can''t get into the etc/x11 folder to change the config file. It says it does not exist where as I expected to get turned down acsess. So any Ideas on what I should do to fixit? In any case I would like to know how to log on without a GUI. I cant seam to find that in my book.
------------------------------------------------------------- neglected projects Lore and The KeepersRandom artwork
Advertisement
You need to change your bootmode from 5 (or 6, which are both graphical) to 3. Try running linuxconf (I forget the actual command-line executable).
Well, first off, make sure you are logged on as root when you are doing any changes like this. That may be the reason you can''t find the config file.

Second, i''m not sure about red hat, but i seem to remember that with slackware it was in one of you profile files in your home directory that called the GUI startup

check in one of you .* files in your home directory.

As for changing the settings...log on as root, and maybe try rerunning the setup script, i believe red hat came with one.

Sorry i can''t be more specific, haven''t had linux installed in quite some time.

Good luck

Commando_337
Good points, commando_337. You must be logged in as root or as a user with sufficient permissions to make system-wide changes. Under redhat when you execute startx, it reads the .xinitrc file in your home directory which sets a number environment variables and passes that on to xinit and other utilities. However, it seems that Goober King''s system was configured to boot graphically straight away. It is possible to change that setting, but I can''t for the life of me remember how.

In any case, this is part of the "Linux learning experience." You might have to reinstall, but next time make sure that you choose text bootup (the command to launch X Windows, again, is startx )
Before resorting to anything _that_ drastic:

If you''re using LILO to boot, you can specify a kernel commandline. One of them allows you to override the init-process. If you enter
LILO: init=/bin/bash
the kernel will load a shell with root privileges. You can then edit /etc/inittab with a commandline editor (try pico or joe, they''re quite easy to use) and search for a line like this:

id:3:initdefault:

Change that number to the console-only runlevel.

Alternatively, you could try running a configuration tool, but that''s likely to fail (as no deamons are started).
Now sadly runlevels differ from distro to distro. According to Oluseyi, 3 is console-only, but on Suse 3 is graphical login...

cu,
Prefect

One line of sourcecode says more than a thousand words.
Widelands - laid back, free software strategy
Well I was logged on as root but no luck.
Some places would say I lacked permision to
enter but x11 even though in the list would
say it didnot exist at all.
I wan''t able to use LILO for some difficulty in
setting the boot drive above the 1024? area.
It though it would work but faild at the end of the
install. So I use a boot disk but it does offer a chance
to overide the basic config but I dont know any of
the commands at that point. I''m looking but not finding
much yet. Is pobably here somewhere but finding it
may be difficult. I''ll give the last idea a shot and see if
it works. What little I''ve done so far on Linux I''m liking
so I''m ready to get it all going again. If not I better learn
to use the command line untill I can replace that frigin
monitor. I was broke. Now I''m broke and pissed. what can
you do?
------------------------------------------------------------- neglected projects Lore and The KeepersRandom artwork
Prefect gives some very good ideas. I also suggest going over to RedHat''s website. Within minutes of searching there I found the following:
quote:
0 — Halt
1 — Single-user mode
2 — Multi-user mode, without networking
3 — Full multi-user mode
4 — Not used
5 — Full multi-user mode (with an X-based login screen)
6 — Reboot
The default runlevel for a system to boot to and stop is configured in /etc/inittab.

There''s more info at the linked page.
Now why didn't I think of that? Not the first time. I think
I just like comming here for info for some reason. Thanks for
everyone's input. I may call on your services again some day.

Ahhh..now I see Linux is case sensitive.
I have resolved the problem.

Edited by - Goober King on October 10, 2001 5:11:22 PM

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement