Advertisement

So people who live in warmer climates are dumber and have more kids?!

Started by June 15, 2012 04:21 PM
10 comments, last by Washu 12 years, 3 months ago
I've been looking at various statistics and noticed something strange...
[attachment=9495:Annual_Average_Temperature_Map2.png]
[attachment=9496:BIRTH RATES.png]
[attachment=9497:world_average_iq_2000.png]

Any ideas why these maps are so similar?
Correlation does not imply causation.
Advertisement
Actually it's more likely people who live near the equator due to geological and natural processes have more access to natural resources like minerals and fertile lands leading them to be exploited by the so called "advance" civilizations, thus their continuing plight of poverty, lower education and political and social turmoil (to the benefit of those advance nations). Look at the history of Africa, Central America, South East Asia etc.. They were the playground of the colonial powers and they still suffer to this day from the fallout..

Correlation does not imply causation.

Unless it's something you support that is.

Not you as in you specifically, but the more general you!

Unless it's something you support that is.

Not you as in you specifically, but the more general you!

Hmm, I'm not sure I quite understand what you're getting at. Are you making a statement about personal bias?
OH! OH! I know! All three maps use the same spherical projection so all the shapes are the same! AND they're all coloured using variants of the same indigo colour!

What do I win?

Stephen M. Webb
Professional Free Software Developer

Advertisement
dd3 right on the dot, perfect summation as to why "lower" developed countries are in such horrible conditions. Even know there continues to be exploitation.

slayemin, im taking a guess here but i think he means that some people say causation rather than correlation when it benefits their goals or intentions. Like a cable company saying satallites cause cancer (very bland and obvious example but it gets the point)
Always improve, never quit.

Any ideas why these maps are so similar?

Social-economic reasons including, but not limited to, lack of education and health care access due to the conditions in those areas; conditions which generally have a (recent) root in the actions of the supposedly less stupid areas of the world (aka European nations).
if you want to make the debate even hotter.. have a look at stats about religious belief and you'll find pretty much the same distribution.

Stefano Casillo
TWITTER: [twitter]KunosStefano[/twitter]
AssettoCorsa - netKar PRO - Kunos Simulazioni

Rofl!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement