Advertisement

Photos which have never been JPEG compressed

Started by June 11, 2012 12:23 PM
3 comments, last by Servant of the Lord 12 years, 3 months ago
Hello,

Does anyone know a place where to find and download nice nature photos, or photos with many colors (like a market place in India or so) that have never been compressed to JPEG?

I'm trying to do some experiments and stuff, but the problem is, the way these experiments affect colors, these experiments ALWAYS end up to highlight the JPEG artifacts: the 8x8 blocks and the ringing artifacts :(

I've tried to search for things like photo's in PNG format, but it's hard to find something... (and my own camera only encodes to JPEG plus the environment I live in is not that fantastic for nice photos).

Thanks!

these experiments ALWAYS end up to highlight the JPEG artifacts: the 8x8 blocks and the ringing artifacts sad.png

what about looking for a lowly compressed JPEG image ?

Does anyone know a place where to find and download nice nature photos, or photos with many colors (like a market place in India or so) that have never been compressed to JPEG?

check out this post i found

Never say Never, Because Never comes too soon. - ryan20fun

Disclaimer: Each post of mine is intended as an attempt of helping and/or bringing some meaningfull insight to the topic at hand. Due to my nature, my good intentions will not always be plainly visible. I apologise in advance and assure you I mean no harm and do not intend to insult anyone.

Advertisement
You'll want to look for "raw" image files. Those are the raw sensor data from the camera. Example formats are CR2 (canon's format), NEF (Nikon format), RW2 (Panasonic) and many others.

Raw sensor data still needs to be processed. Once light balance, color balance, and other operations are applied to turn it into a usable image you immediately start to see chromatic issues, noise issues, and other visual processing artifacts. That's just how signal processing works.
Depending on what kind of experiments you're doing, why not use screenshots from video games?
-~-The Cow of Darkness-~-
Have you tried using Google Advanced Image Search?
Specifically the last two options might help your search:

optionsm.png

Though the 'filter by license' option isn't accurate.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement