Advertisement

Is it wrong that I look down on Joe Blow?

Started by February 20, 2012 04:07 PM
50 comments, last by Washu 12 years, 7 months ago

[quote name='SteveDeFacto' timestamp='1329791835' post='4915043']
[quote name='SimonForsman' timestamp='1329763548' post='4914897']
http://www.gamedev.n...ted-with--in-c/

(Ok, not the best example perhaps, i'm not sure what posts phantom were refering to and my google skills are quite weak)

That post is neither recent nor is it stupid. It was a C++ specific syntax question. There is no documentation which specifically explains what I was looking for and searching google for "c++ store array of floats in one line" returns no useful results. I have been programming for the last 16 years and only 3 of those years have been with C++. There is absolutely no way I could have come to the right answer through logic...
[/quote]

And I'm sure the person who thought Booleans had something to do with antivirus software had a much better excuse than this. "C++ store array of floats in one line" is a stupid search string. Even so, the second result answers your question and suggests you read the section on pointers which answers most of your follow-up questions.

If you've been programming for 16 years, then the best thing I can say is that you're confusing interest with aptitude. The people in your class who have spent most of their lives doing things that are not programming mightt take a bit longer to pick up basic concepts than someone who started much earlier. But even so, if they keep at it for 16 years, the idea that your skills are so great that none of them will catch up seems more and more delusional the more you post about it.
[/quote]

I don't think at the time I knew exactly what I was looking for which is why my question was so vague. A language specific syntax question is a lot different than being unable to connect the dots for simple boolean logic. On top of that these students have had the concept explained in great detail in class and through the book. However, I have never said they will not catch up or even surpass me but some of these students are falling behind in many more ways than just grasping basic programming concepts. The guy who associated boolean flags with anti virus software for example has very poor spelling and grammar. I never attended high school and learned everything I know about grammar within the last 5 years. Yet I still have managed to achieve a normal level of literacy. The fact that fellow college students have had these concepts pounded in to their heads for over a decade and still fall short is evidence enough that they are simply stupid.

That post is neither recent nor is it stupid. It was a C++ specific syntax question. There is no documentation which specifically explains what I was looking for and searching google for "c++ store array of floats in one line" returns no useful results. I have been programming for the last 16 years and only 3 of those years have been with C++. There is absolutely no way I could have come to the right answer through logic...

Ahem... http://bit.ly/xdBAps

Many of the results are older than your post. That being said, I don't think it is a stupid question, but it is definitely a very beginner question. I would highly recommend you take the advice in this thread seriously and get over yourself. The attitudes you have about people will undoubtedly hold you back in life.
Advertisement

[quote name='SteveDeFacto' timestamp='1329754054' post='4914833']
Am I the only one who feels this way or is this normal?

It is sadly common. Nerds go through high school fighting against the teasing and bullying for being nerds and they hold onto that intellectual elitism. By college it is full blown, espcially once they realise that even stupid people go to college. It becomes angry and resentful for 4-6 years after college once they realise that those stupid people are their bosses. Then they get around to gaining some modicum of social skills and grow out of it (mostly).

All that said, it's still wrong. It's still a shield from normal, healthy human interaction. And you have only yourself to blame for going to a school that isn't even vaguely challenging you.

As others have said, what you do about it is up to you. You can create your own challenges, or you can spend your time working through the elitism issues that cause you to piss off even the other elitists of the forums. But at least you are aware of the problem...
[/quote]

that-point-bears-repeating.jpg

[quote name='Telastyn' timestamp='1329791772' post='4915042']

It is sadly common. Nerds go through high school fighting against the teasing and bullying for being nerds and they hold onto that intellectual elitism. By college it is full blown, espcially once they realise that even stupid people go to college. It becomes angry and resentful for 4-6 years after college once they realise that those stupid people are their bosses. Then they get around to gaining some modicum of social skills and grow out of it (mostly).

All that said, it's still wrong. It's still a shield from normal, healthy human interaction. And you have only yourself to blame for going to a school that isn't even vaguely challenging you.

As others have said, what you do about it is up to you. You can create your own challenges, or you can spend your time working through the elitism issues that cause you to piss off even the other elitists of the forums. But at least you are aware of the problem...
[/quote]

[/quote]

Never went to high school and no it is not my fault that I am forced to attend this community college. My parents home schooled me and never graduated me. I was forced to get a GED and had to teach myself basic reading, grammar, spelling and mathematics before I could even do that. I have not taken the SAT and since I am already so far behind compared to most people my age I decided to apply to the nearest community college as soon as I had my GED to avoid delaying my education further. I barely was able to make the deadline for admission and had to pay out of pocket my first semester.
Yes, it is wrong to look down on them. And pretty silly, if you ask me. It's an introductory course about programming. Most people don't really care much about the "insides" of a computer, nor about how programs are written. There's nothing wrong with that, I totally understand how people think programming is a boring process. I'm pretty sure most of them have trouble because they haven't grasped yet, in its entirety, the concept of *what* a computer program or programming language is. When they get things straightened up in their head, their progress may even surprise you. The fact that you maybe did that in a younger age is irrelevant. People have different "talents", and it's probable that you just cared more. If you want a challenge for yourself, why not try to help the other students. See how well *you* can *explain* several programming concepts, and consider it a personal failure if they don't understand what you're explaining. It's not quite that easy.

[quote name='tstrimple' timestamp='1329795678' post='4915057']
[quote name='Telastyn' timestamp='1329791772' post='4915042']

[/quote]

[/quote]

Never went to high school and no it is not my fault that I am forced to attend this community college. My parents home schooled me and never graduated me. I was forced to get a GED and had to teach myself basic reading, grammar, spelling and mathematics before I could even do that. I have not taken the SAT and since I am already so far behind compared to most people my age I decided to apply to the nearest community college as soon as I had my GED to avoid delaying my education further. I barely was able to make the deadline for admission and had to pay out of pocket my first semester.
[/quote]

wambulance.jpg
Mike Popoloski | Journal | SlimDX
Advertisement

So you're an uneducated person, basically a high school student, with delusions of grandeur about your intelligence. Sounds like a typical teenager to me.

In time the project grows, the ignorance of its devs it shows, with many a convoluted function, it plunges into deep compunction, the price of failure is high, Washu's mirth is nigh.

I am also in a class full of people that don't understand programming being that its an intro class.
I do sympathize with Steve in one respect, they will never under any circumstances let you go to a higher level class. Ever. I did manage to dodge a basic HTML class to get into web publishing, although I expect that class to be very basic still, but I could not avoid the 2 intro programming classes. They also insist on teaching you in a separate language for every class. In 107 we do C++ and in 110 we use visual basic. I think I will fail the class with VB. I just can't use it. It upsets me.
That is actually something that helps me keep things in perspective. I cannot do certain things that upset me but normal people work through that all the time. In the end they could be said to be better at life than me, no matter how mathematically and logically proficient I am.
There's a reason that basically everyone responding to you seems to be disagreeing with you. It could be that we're all inferior to you as well, or it could be that you're wrong.

If your class is too easy I'd suggest you might use the extra time to try to improve your social and communications skills.

Never went to high school and no it is not my fault that I am forced to attend this community college...*snip*

a) Whether you had many other options or not, you did still choose to attend your community college.

b) Lots of other people had a tough life. Some of them spend lots of time complaining about it, but they aren't usually the ones who end up with a better life -- the ones who just deal with their situation and continue working to improve it end up with a better life.

You're not better than the people in your class, you just have a different skill set. I'm also almost certain that you probably aren't as intelligent as you think you are -- and even if you were, intelligence alone will rarely get you anywhere.

- Jason Astle-Adams

I think I will fail the class with VB. I just can't use it. It upsets me.

Wait, so you're biased against a language and because you hate the language you refuse to use it, hence you'll fail a class. This sounds MONUMENTALLY STUPID. There are plenty of times in life when you will find you have to do something, or use something, that you dislike. Get over it and get it done.

In time the project grows, the ignorance of its devs it shows, with many a convoluted function, it plunges into deep compunction, the price of failure is high, Washu's mirth is nigh.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement