Advertisement

grammar - fable fox is stronger

Started by February 09, 2012 07:39 AM
15 comments, last by Don Carnage 12 years, 7 months ago
My English is okay-ish, although i learn most of it by reading magazines and watching movies. Still, here is goes:

"Fable Fox is Stronger"

If Fable Fox is a name, a boy, would that title be English-correct?
I know that titles has certain rules, capitalization and all, but i think it also has some other rules? pun, words play and all?

I mean.

Fable Fox is stronger than ever. <-- correct English ?

Fable Fox is stronger than his opponent? <-- correct English ?

Fable Fox is stronger than he ever was. <-- correct English ?

There fore "Fable Fox is Stronger" is a valid title, am I right?

PS - Why do I feel dejavu....
All of your examples are correct. But don't take my word for it! See what Strong Bad has to say!
Advertisement
Phew. I once mentioned that title, and some people laughs and smile a little. we all are non-English speaking. and I was like, is or are? I know are is for plural. but there was this thing that since name can represent singular or plurals - are should be used. I mean, Fable Fox could means a football team or something.

Anyway, Word never give it a grammar error,so it's a good thing that it was correct - i'm went a deep into this project already.
The only problem here is context. You're missing a target in the sentence "FableFox is stronger". As in, stronger than who or what? The sentence "FableFox is stronger" by itself, even though grammatically correct, doesn't make much more sense than "Science is smarter".
The first few times I saw it I was mildly confused due to missing context. My interpretation is along these lines:

[FableFox has been exercising in the gym.] FableFox is stronger [than he used to be.]

If Fable Fox is a name, a boy, would that title be English-correct?

Yes.

I know that titles has certain rules, capitalization and all, but i think it also has some other rules? pun, words play and all?

There's a pun in there?

Fable Fox is stronger than ever. <-- correct English ?

Fable Fox is stronger than his opponent? <-- correct English ?

Fable Fox is stronger than he ever was. <-- correct English ?

Yes, yes, yes.

There fore "Fable Fox is Stronger" is a valid title, am I right?

Uh, sure? What do you mean by title? I'm with frob on this one, "Fable Fox is stronger" sounds like "Fable Fox is now stronger than he used to be." It sounds more like a statement than a title.

PS - Why do I feel dejavu....

I don't know, but I feel the same. When I saw the title "grammar - fable fox is stronger" I could've sworn there was a thread with that same title in the past. But a forum search found nothing.
[size=2][ I was ninja'd 71 times before I stopped counting a long time ago ] [ f.k.a. MikeTacular ] [ My Blog ] [ SWFer: Gaplessly looped MP3s in your Flash games ]
Advertisement
regarding deja vu, it could be in my dream (do a lot of things on this project sometimes it creep into my sleep). i could have posted in my dreams. or was it when gd crash, and lost 3 or 2 day of materials? i think it was then. and i didn't have the time to check the answer yet, or something. and forgot to repost.

The thing about title is that, afaik, it doesn't have to be grammatically correct, or something. i think i've read some roger ebert article about some movies, and at time he touch the topic of titles. sometimes titles are left hanging, and at times, did't tell anything. and i also read about lyrics - including rap. there is this rule that art, at times, doesn't have to actually follow the rules if it can make things cooler - just don't overkill.

The reason I choose Fable Fox is Stronger because it cover all three full sentences. he is stronger than his opponents, he is stronger physically than before, and he is stronger emotionally and mentally - as "please be strong". it's not about weightlifting, it about going the distance and something along those lines.

and just like i said, i intentionally left the title hanging - stronger than what? the context, when people realized, is all three. thanks for all the answer. now i'm going to save this page, just in case gamedev crashed a lost few days of work...
and.... here's a secret. archive have a song called - "you make me feel". (see, feel what? - at times, titles left hanging is cool!)

there's a line "you make me feel, stronger......"

"Fable Fox is Stronger" is, a sense of being strong, after he felt empowered.

regarding deja vu, it could be in my dream (do a lot of things on this project sometimes it creep into my sleep). i could have posted in my dreams. or was it when gd crash, and lost 3 or 2 day of materials? i think it was then. and i didn't have the time to check the answer yet, or something. and forgot to repost.

Found it. It was your signature.

"Fable Fox is Stronger" isn't necessarily incorrect. It's just kinda hanging, and without knowing exactly how the title is going to be used, it's hard to say how effective it is.
[size=2][ I was ninja'd 71 times before I stopped counting a long time ago ] [ f.k.a. MikeTacular ] [ My Blog ] [ SWFer: Gaplessly looped MP3s in your Flash games ]
English rules are thrown out the window when you create a Title. A Title is like a proper noun; they don't have to be English words, but they are still proper English.

"Gary is big."

"Gary" isn't an English word, but the sentence is correct in English. Same with Titles.

My Gamedev Journal: 2D Game Making, the Easy Way

---(Old Blog, still has good info): 2dGameMaking
-----
"No one ever posts on that message board; it's too crowded." - Yoga Berra (sorta)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement