Advertisement

grammar - fable fox is stronger

Started by February 09, 2012 07:39 AM
15 comments, last by Don Carnage 12 years, 7 months ago

[on 'is' or 'are']... Fable Fox could means a football team or something.

Fable Fox could mean a team, but it would still be singular, since there's only one 'fox'. But "The Fable Foxes are stronger" would be correct.

Also, I fail to see why you need the capital 'S' in 'Stronger'. Is Stronger a name?
It is I, the spectaculous Don Karnage! My bloodthirsty horde is on an intercept course with you. We will be shooting you and looting you in precisely... Ten minutes. Felicitations!
I was confused about what you meant by "title". When speaking of names, title often means something added to a name to indicate rank or an honor, as in "Koobs the Great", "Emperor Cornstalks", or "Fable Fox the Stronger".

If you mean title like the title of a song, book, or forum post, then "Fable Fox is Stronger" would be proper English, although I might not capitalize the S depending on context, e.g. I wouldn't for a forum post but I would for an article.

"Stronger" without context is most likely in a physical muscle mass kind of way.

What Fable Fox is stronger than depends on context. Just by itself the only context is Fable Fox himself. So you are saying something like "(the present tense) Fable Fox is stronger than (some other) Fable Fox", which is interpreted as "Fable Fox is stronger now than he was before".

With context, you could be saying anything from "Fable Fox can lift more than this other guy" to "Fable Fox is more durable than this table" or "Fable Fox is more skillful than everyone here". Examples!

• See that dude doing bench presses? Fable Fox is stronger.
  • I stacked a bunch of stuff on my coffee table and Fable Fox to see which would collapse first. Fable Fox is stronger.
  • I pity the fool who thinks he is a leet mathematician. Fable Fox is stronger. (this one is a little awkward. In normal conversation, one would say "Fable Fox is a stronger mathematician" or "Fable Fox has stronger math skillz")
Advertisement

"Emperor Cornstalks"

biggrin.png
[size=2][ I was ninja'd 71 times before I stopped counting a long time ago ] [ f.k.a. MikeTacular ] [ My Blog ] [ SWFer: Gaplessly looped MP3s in your Flash games ]

Also, I fail to see why you need the capital 'S' in 'Stronger'. Is Stronger a name?

It's a book title (ebook, to be more precise). 'is' is not capitalized, but 'Stronger' should, am I right? And it also soon going to be digital comic title, short animation title, and long animation title (this one is far fetched. but who knows?).
I think it is an interesting title. The ambiguous nature of the sentence gives a certain air of mystery that a more concrete title would lack.

[quote name='Don Carnage' timestamp='1328848336' post='4911542']

It's a book title (ebook, to be more precise). 'is' is not capitalized, but 'Stronger' should, am I right? And it also soon going to be digital comic title, short animation title, and long animation title (this one is far fetched. but who knows?).
[/quote]

You should've started with this. I agree with rip-off.
Advertisement

[quote name='Don Carnage' timestamp='1328848336' post='4911542']

[/quote]
D'oh! A title in English! You are correct of course, sorry :)
It is I, the spectaculous Don Karnage! My bloodthirsty horde is on an intercept course with you. We will be shooting you and looting you in precisely... Ten minutes. Felicitations!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement