🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Guidance

Started by
4 comments, last by Goober King 22 years, 9 months ago
Ok. This may be common "?" but too bad. I''m Interested in seeing what Linux is all about but I''m not compleatly sure on how I should get things started. To clarify I want to make sure I can still run windows because there is no way I will just be able to leave everything behind. Won''t I need some dual OS program to alow for a multipul OS system. The only thing I saw was like 50-60 bucks. Personly I dont think I should have to pay one dime to run a second OS but I will if I must. Just not that much. Second Whats the differance between the various types of linux like Red Hat and Mandrake or whatever. I know I''ll probably end up getting linux out of a book or buying off the shelf because downloading it is out of the question on 56k I would think and I''m the only guy with a computer I know so nobody I know will have it. In the end I just dont want to end up paying 150$ on an OS that can be had for free. Especialy if I don''t know to what extent I will use it.
------------------------------------------------------------- neglected projects Lore and The KeepersRandom artwork
Advertisement
There are a couple of free "multiple-OS boot loaders" (don''t know the real term for it), the most popular ones being LILO (LInux LOader) andGNU GRUB (GRand Unified Bootloader). Both of them can boot windows just fine.

Personally I would recommend GRUB.

Both of them should be included in (probably) all distros (certainly in all the ''big'' ones).
Yes, you will need a ''dual OS program'' to boot both Linux and Windows, but as Dactylos said, they should be included with any Linux distro. Many distributions will look for versions of Windows which are already on your hard drive, and automatically set up dualboot accordingly.

There are many differences between distributions. Here are a few of the more important ones:

Included software. All distros will give you the basics, but some will give you loads more. For example, the full SuSe distribution consists of 7 CDs.

Software packaging format and installation. Different distros have different ways of installing software. Many RedHat-based distros use RPM. Debian uses .deb. Other distros might rely solely on .tar.gz files.

Ease of use. Distributions like RedHat and Mandrake are generally considered to be more user-friendly, while others like Slackware or Debian are more "hardcore". User-friendly distros often come with numerous tools for easy system administration and configuration. Some distros will require you to set up your system manually, by editing config files and the like.

If you are unable to download it, I would highly recommend that you pick up a book which includes a distribution. And as for the distribution itself, I would recommend Mandrake 8.x.
ReactOS - an Open-source operating system compatible with Windows NT apps and drivers
NT also comes with a bootloader that you can specify different partitions to boot with. If you have 9x setup first, then install NT, it''ll make an entry to boot to the 9x Windows (and it''ll even work IF it''s on a different partition).

Those programs you mention, (I think) are to run Windows & Linux simultaneously which is as much voodoo as it sounds - though it did work far better than I expected (which was not-at-all). I tried one called VM Ware.

At the least you need a second partition on your hard drive - I''d recommend a second drive if have an extra.

Magmai Kai Holmlor
- Not For Rent
- The trade-off between price and quality does not exist in Japan. Rather, the idea that high quality brings on cost reduction is widely accepted.-- Tajima & Matsubara
Thanks. I think thats most of what I need to know for now.
I think that I will probably get it from a book since I will
need some help getting started. I think a good amout
of them give the OS along with KDE(is that right) and or
GNOME. Beyond that I''m not sure the have much else.
The of the shelf versions would seam to have alot
of other things, but how much is realy needed? Are
most things easily aquired if I dont get them right off
the bat?
------------------------------------------------------------- neglected projects Lore and The KeepersRandom artwork
I was asking those exact same questions for a while, until I decided to stop wondering and get Linux. At first, I checked out Red Hat Linux 5 Unleashed. I never really got it installed. Then I bought SuSE Linux 7.2 Personal Edition, and it is great! It comes with all the apps I''ll ever need, 100 star installation process, and it comes with KDE/GNOME, along with a book about installation, configuration, and apps. I have two hard drives, and I just used my old hard drive for Linux. now, when I want to start Linux, I just put in the Linux boot disk (although you can set it so that it starts up automatically or you get a choice when you start your computer), and restart it. I would HIGHLY recommend Linux.
C++

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement