Advertisement

Beanstalk vs Assembla

Started by December 27, 2011 12:28 AM
2 comments, last by The_Neverending_Loop 12 years, 8 months ago
Hello I've been looking for a code repository and some general software development management tools. I actually signed up with Beanstalk since they were recommend by gamedev, and I'm so far, very content with them!. The thing is I noticed to get other features that I would like, such as wiki, or an issue tracker I would have to sign up for basecamphq which can be integrated into beanstalk. But basecamphq goes for like 50$ a months, and I dont really want to spend around 65$ a month for all the tools I need as these will primarily be used by me, and on occasion hired guns from time to time.

I looked into Assembla and I noticed that they have some of the features I would like for around 20$, even tho I only get 1[font=Arial, Helvetica,] space, which Iam not to sure exactly what it means, but I imagine I could only host 1 project?.[/font]
[font=Arial, Helvetica,]
[/font]
[font=Arial, Helvetica,]Anyhow I wanted feedback from people about what kind of tools they use and would recommend. I'm hoping to get my code repository + some basic management tools for around 20$ a month. These are hobby project of mines, and I just cant justify spending 50$+ just to make sure I stay on top of my game![/font]
[font=Arial, Helvetica,]
[/font]
[font=Arial, Helvetica,]Thanks in advance for any feedback![/font]
I also thought BaseCamp was very expensive for what you get. I have the free Assembla account and am pretty happy so I'd recommend trying them out for a paid version.

www.simulatedmedicine.com - medical simulation software

Looking to find experienced Ogre & shader developers/artists. PM me or contact through website with a contact email address if interested.

Advertisement
If by "hobby project" you mean just for non-commercial fun, have you considered open sourcing? There are a load of sites out there that will offer free hosting with these features to any open source project (Sourceforge, Launchpad, Google Code etc).

http://erebusrpg.sourceforge.net/ - Erebus, Open Source RPG for Windows/Linux/Android
http://conquests.sourceforge.net/ - Conquests, Open Source Civ-like Game for Windows/Linux

Hobby project as in I'm doing it in my spare time, but not that I want to give away my source. Even if I never seen a dime from it, which I'm perfectly fine with, releasing my source code would make hacking the application alot easier! which is definetly a No-No

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement