Advertisement

C# and OpenGL - a weird combination

Started by November 30, 2011 03:39 PM
15 comments, last by Starnick 12 years, 9 months ago
Ok, i think i have to inform about c# a little bit more. I thougth its only windows-based. Is it able to run a c# program on linux without wine?
yup

http://www.mono-project.com/Main_Page

Stefano Casillo
TWITTER: [twitter]KunosStefano[/twitter]
AssettoCorsa - netKar PRO - Kunos Simulazioni

Advertisement

Ok, i think i have to inform about c# a little bit more. I thougth its only windows-based. Is it able to run a c# program on linux without wine?

Yes, you can use either mono or dotgnu on Linux. (There might be other implementations aswell).
(Mono also works on Windows if you for some reason don't want to use Microsofts .Net or if your specific application works/performs better with mono)

[quote name='swiftcoder' timestamp='1322718952' post='4889323']
[quote name='Hodgman' timestamp='1322713834' post='4889306']
Yeah it's a weird combination, because neither C# or (sic) OpenGL are any good for making games.

Your trolling would have been much more effective had you remembered that the correct word is 'nor', rather than 'or'.
[/quote]
Rock, paper, GRAMMAR NAZI BEATS TROLL.
[/quote]

They're is nothing wrong with grammar nazis or bad trolling.
[size="1"]I don't suffer from insanity, I'm enjoying every minute of it.
The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!

Yes, you can use either mono or dotgnu on Linux.

The latter one looks pretty interesting but it also looks pretty dead.

[quote name='Starnick' timestamp='1322674806' post='4889134']
Surprised no one mentioned Mono - the Mono Framework is a cross-platform, open source implementation of .NET.

It was mentioned indirectly by mentioning Mac, Linux, iOS, Android, Wii, PS3 and Xbox360.
[/quote]

And that is exactly why I was surprised, what good does it do saying you can develop for other platforms without actually making known what framework you need to use in order to develop for them?

And that is exactly why I was surprised, what good does it do saying you can develop for other platforms without actually making known what framework you need to use in order to develop for them?

We like to encourage independent thought and champion the power of google, around these parts. :wink:

Tristam MacDonald. Ex-BigTech Software Engineer. Future farmer. [https://trist.am]

Advertisement
See if I'm going to even bother to post a link, I prefer to do it without the ones dripping with sarcasm. Sometimes, its perfectly valid if the OP calls for it (and in those cases, hey, why even respond) since sometimes an OP really doesn't deserve a good response in how they act.

But, if the OP asks a question, and shows to have a misconception about the technology (btw I'm not picking on you OP), how hard is it to say that "C# isn't just for Windows-based platforms, .NET maybe, but there exists other implementations such as as Mono that lets you develop for Linux, Mac, etc". Sometimes if you believe in something, especially when its false, you might not think you actually need to google it in the first place.

Anyways, moving on...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement