Advertisement

C# and OpenGL - a weird combination

Started by November 30, 2011 03:39 PM
15 comments, last by Starnick 12 years, 9 months ago
I´ve read some posts about c# and opengl together. As everybody knows C# is a windows-based programming language. Isn´t it weird not to take DirectX/XNA,is it?
I want to know your arguments why anybody is using this combo?

I´ve read some posts about c# and opengl together. As everybody knows C# is a windows-based programming language. Isn´t it weird not to take DirectX/XNA,is it?

No, thats not weird.

My reason for using that combo is that I already knew openGL; and if i didnt, I would rather opt to invest in learning the more portable option.
Advertisement

C# is available for all major desktop platforms and is a standardized language with implementations from multiple vendors, The language is not Windows based. (the .Net framework contains parts that are focused on Windows (and desktops in general), but C# does not)
[size="1"]I don't suffer from insanity, I'm enjoying every minute of it.
The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!

As everybody knows C# is a windows-based programming language.

Actually, it isn't.

You can program in C# for Mac, Linux, even iOS.

Tristam MacDonald. Ex-BigTech Software Engineer. Future farmer. [https://trist.am]

[quote name='Florian22222' timestamp='1322667559' post='4889096']
As everybody knows C# is a windows-based programming language.

Actually, it isn't.

You can program in C# for Mac, Linux, even iOS.
[/quote]
And Android, and Windows Phone.
Also with some additional effor - also on PS3, Wii, and XBox360.
Surprised no one mentioned Mono - the Mono Framework is a cross-platform, open source implementation of .NET.

OpenTK is one of the more popular OpenGL wrappers for Mono/.NET (C#, but you're able to use the other .NET languages too!)
Advertisement

Surprised no one mentioned Mono - the Mono Framework is a cross-platform, open source implementation of .NET.

It was mentioned indirectly by mentioning Mac, Linux, iOS, Android, Wii, PS3 and Xbox360.
Yeah it's a weird combination, because neither C# or OpenGL are any good for making games.

</trolling> Sorry, couldn't help it. I kid, I kid! laugh.gif

Yeah it's a weird combination, because neither C# or (sic) OpenGL are any good for making games.

Your trolling would have been much more effective had you remembered that the correct word is 'nor', rather than 'or'.

Tristam MacDonald. Ex-BigTech Software Engineer. Future farmer. [https://trist.am]

[quote name='Hodgman' timestamp='1322713834' post='4889306']
Yeah it's a weird combination, because neither C# or (sic) OpenGL are any good for making games.

Your trolling would have been much more effective had you remembered that the correct word is 'nor', rather than 'or'.
[/quote]
Rock, paper, GRAMMAR NAZI BEATS TROLL.
[size=2][ I was ninja'd 71 times before I stopped counting a long time ago ] [ f.k.a. MikeTacular ] [ My Blog ] [ SWFer: Gaplessly looped MP3s in your Flash games ]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement