Advertisement

Is Westgate resort a scam?

Started by November 11, 2011 03:41 PM
4 comments, last by Concentrate 12 years, 10 months ago
I never been to florida, so this thanksgiving break, me and my friends are driving there from CT. My friend told me about westgate and their cheap rates and gave me their number to talk to some employee. Mike, who is one of the employee at westgate is who I ended up talking to. Here is what our conversation went like

Mike: Hey is this X? I've heard your voicemail so I'm calling back
Me: Oh hey, yes this is X, how are you doing?

//...small talk

Mike: So I heard from your friend that you guys want to book a hotel, for the 21st to 25th?
Me: Yes
Mike: Ok good, let me check the availability..."Oh I see there is one last room available" [ this is where I roll my eyes, I'm not stupid ]
Me: Oh good, how much is the rate?
Mike: Its going to be $45 per night or $99 per 4 days/3nights. There is a swimming pool, bar, king size bedroom,...(other 'perks')
Me: Oh really. If you don't mind me asking mike, why so cheap?
Mike: Well, we're a timeshare company,...blah..blah( no straightforward answer)
Me: Oh I see. I was advised by friend that I have to book this over the phone?
Mike: Yes, that way its convenient and fast for both of us.
Me: hmm, why not through the internet?
Mike: Well..the rate changes really quickly, so If we have a set price on an email then we would have to abide by that price.
Me: oh, but you can always have, 'subject to change, book asap'..
Mike: Well, yes but...(some bull statement that was not straightforward)
Me: You see, if this were over the internet, then I would have some sort of receipt, but over the phone I really wouldn't.
Me: oh hmm, you see, I'm really skeptical about your claimed price for such a 5-star hotel
Mike: Well, we are the biggest hotel in orlando..(other bull statement)
Me: Can I get the website and other information?
Mike: (gives me the main website, westgatereservations.com)
Me: ok thanks
Mike: (says other pitch statement)
Me: ok, I will call you back in a few hours, thanks for you time.

Now I'm googling about their company and see some complaints about possible scams or of some sort. I'm still searching, but was wondering if anyone here had such an encounter?
Edge cases will show your design flaws in your code!
Visit my site
Visit my FaceBook
Visit my github
Westgate is a timeshare. They have Westgate Towers in Vegas and others all over the place. Chances are it is so cheap because they are going to try and sell you a timeshare.
Advertisement
Another reason is that sometimes timeshares have a difficult time filling their vacancies, even if they have only one unit open. People usually think of hotels and motels rather than time shares when traveling. They prefer to fill it for the full week (hence the lower price) and get some money rather than leaving it vacant and getting no money.

Unlike hotels and motels, their cost structure is not designed for extended vacancies. Hotels and motels use a higher price to account for higher vacancy rates. Time share condos generally don't use that cost structure, hence lower rates.
oh ok i see. so i guess this is normal.
Visit my site
Visit my FaceBook
Visit my github
Personally, I don't have the patience to deal with timeshare salesmen, so even if it is possible to get a cheaper rate, I'm willing to pay the higher hotel rate just to not be bothered.

[Formerly "capn_midnight". See some of my projects. Find me on twitter tumblr G+ Github.]

So I booked some dates. But the funny thing is, they notified me that I am not eligible to buy time-share and hence I am not obligated to attend their meeting. I guess you have to be age > 25 and engaged or married. $45 per isn't bad. Us being college students, it works well.
Visit my site
Visit my FaceBook
Visit my github

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement