Advertisement

Engine for making short movie

Started by November 11, 2011 11:24 AM
8 comments, last by iamcreasy 12 years, 10 months ago
Feature-list-wise which engine has more features between CryEngine and Unreal Engine(UDK) ?

I am looking for a good engine to use it as a short movie making tool. Though I don't know what exactly I am looking for but, I want to pick something that has the most features.

Thanks in advance.

Feature-list-wise which engine has more features between CryEngine and Unreal Engine(UDK) ?

I am looking for a good engine to use it as a short movie making tool. Though I don't know what exactly I am looking for but, I want to pick something that has the most features.

Thanks in advance.

I think that a real-time game engine isn't the best solution for movie making. Modelling tools are the better solution in handling and quality. Take a look at blender for a free modelling tool including movie making and video cutting features. There're already some short animation films made with blender, just browse the blender site to get more infos about its movie making capability.
Advertisement

[quote name='iamcreasy' timestamp='1321010694' post='4882901']

Thanks in advance.

I think that a real-time game engine isn't the best solution for movie making. Modelling tools are the better solution in handling and quality. Take a look at blender for a free modelling tool including movie making and video cutting features. There're already some short animation films made with blender, just browse the blender site to get more infos about its movie making capability.
[/quote]

Thanks. Yeh I know. But still want to use a game engine to do so. :) I am not looking for best solution. I am looking for a rich engine to get myself familiarize with.
Ah...... I think you plan to make machinima then? If you have the resources or the skill, go for CryEngine. The reason is that the developer does focusing on that direction with cryengine for cinema (please google). however, udk is technologically awesome (with the latest cloth and other tech). but please understand, the avi render is only recently slapped to it.

last but not least, you can go iclone (www.reallusion.com). not a game engine though.

Ah...... I think you plan to make machinima then? If you have the resources or the skill, go for CryEngine. The reason is that the developer does focusing on that direction with cryengine for cinema (please google). however, udk is technologically awesome (with the latest cloth and other tech). but please understand, the avi render is only recently slapped to it.

last but not least, you can go iclone (www.reallusion.com). not a game engine though.

So, you are saying UDK is technologically ahead then CryEngine?
Are you trying to do red vs blue or an actual like cg movie? A cg movie in a game engine is going to be very hard.

NBA2K, Madden, Maneater, Killing Floor, Sims

Advertisement

Are you trying to do red vs blue or an actual like cg movie? A cg movie in a game engine is going to be very hard.

No, this is no Vs thread. My question is what which engine has more features if you keep on listing their features. I actually want to make a cg movie using that game engine.

[quote name='FableFox' timestamp='1321018376' post='4882925']

So, you are saying UDK is technologically ahead then CryEngine?
[/quote]

Not to be pedantic or start a flame war, but I'm in a process of making a machinima myself, and I download both, and IMHO, I mean, IMHO, I'd prefer UDK due to it's latest DX11 advances. If CryEngine is supposed to be better than UDK (specially for machinima), then they need to do better advertising on their plus point. I do not plan to buy the latest crysis to see it myself. I do note their plus point (facial, realtime sub surface scattering, etc) but in the end I weighted on UDK.

I do understand that CryEngine for Cinema do have a lot of awesome tools for machinima, but the problem is that it wasn't being released, yet. On the other hand, UDK is, the latest version at least, COLLADA (or was it FBX?) friendly because they plan to move to that direction. This allow people to work with it without having to own Maya / Max. UDK also have matinee (I don't know cryengine equivalent, anyone can help me here? although i do read about some animation tool)

That is my opinion after reading about both, and downloading both, and play around (albeit little) with both.

Currently I'm on ICLone 5 though, since i'm been using it since ICLone 3. (on and off).

So, to answer your opinion, based on WHAT I NEED AND REQUIRE, UDK does comes out ahead (including in documentations and books too, since if you are one man team, you doen't have a time to figure things out yourself, unlike large production with technical leads who sole job is to find out new things and solve problems and find way to do things).

Id you think CryEngine is better than UDK, well, that's your opinion, and maybe you are right, and since it's a free download, go ahead and use it smile.gif

Personally I would pick Unity over either of those.
SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.

Personally I would pick Unity over either of those.

I am intrigued to hear your reason to pick unity.

Here, real time is not an issue or ease of use is not an issue either. The most important things that matters are visual fidelity and feature support. This is not a game so most of the things will be done using logic bricks / flow graph. Does Unity beat CryEngine or UDK in any of these mentioned way? (also ignoring the fact, that you have to pay 1,500 first to even get the post processing of Unity up and running)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement