🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Any difference in doing one or the other?

Started by
1 comment, last by frizb 24 years, 6 months ago
Is there any difference performance or loading in DDraw, if I have about 50 bitmaps that are 640 x 128 (20 cells of 64x64) that I am loading now. Would it make a difference either way if I combine these into larger bitmaps? The only problem I can see is having to document which cells are for which animation. Also whats the largest bitmap anyone has ever successfully loaded? Still Learning...
Still Learning...
Advertisement
loading the bitmaps? i don''t see how the bitmap size would make any difference if you just load them once. however, once you use surfaces to store them, it would be better to keep theses surfaces at 256 x 256 range or so. obviously that would make them less cumbersome for storage, also i believe there are benefits from square dim surfaces, correct me if i''m wrong.
Less system resources are consumed by using fewer surfaces. e.g. less memory, fewer handles. There is also a computational overhead for creating multiple surfaces and freeing them.

On the other hand there''s a computational overhead when blitting only part of a surface.

So if you have ten bitmaps that you blit every frame for the entire lifetime of the game, you probably want to load those individually. However if it''s a tileset situation then you want to keep the all those on the same bitmap on the same surface.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement