🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

A little off-topic: OpenGL in Linux

Started by
4 comments, last by Series X4 1_0 22 years, 9 months ago
This is not really about programming, but anyway... 1. How do I get OpenGL to work in Linux (using RedHat 7.1)? For example, I have OpenGL screensavers in Gnome that are really slow - seems like everything that uses OpenGL is just emulated. What stuff should I install? Hardware: G-Force 1 card, P3 733. 2. This one is not so important, but how do I change text mode resolution (not in X)? I tried to figure out how to use resizecons , but don't get it. In MS DOS it is possible to type MODE CO80,50 to get a higher resolution. But in Linux? [Edit] 3. How could I forget this one? When I connect to internet with Linux, I can see on my modem that it recieves (sends maybe) stuff all the time, not sure what it is. It's busy even if I don't do anything. Everything gets so slow that it's almost impossible to be online. A virus? In Windows with the same ISP it works fine. [/Edit] Edited by - Series X4 1_0 on September 23, 2001 11:37:23 AM
Advertisement
1: Get the drivers from nvidia. There you can also read installation instructions and all you need to know to get accelerated OpenGL working.
[EDIT: Messed up the url to nvidia]

Edited by - Dactylos on September 23, 2001 11:54:06 AM
1. Yeah, as he said, use the NVidia drivers. The setup seems complex, but it's easy once you've done it once.

2. I don't personally know how, but I know there's a way. Slackware asked me what size to run the console in during installation, so it's definately possible.

3. Your modem may have a timeout setting set way too low, and is sending packets to avoid being disconnected or something similar. I'm not sure what might cause this. There is, of course, a very small possibility that it could be a virus, but they're pretty rare for unixes still.

[Resist Windows XP's Invasive Production Activation Technology!]

Edited by - Null and Void on September 23, 2001 1:34:08 PM
quote: The setup seems complex, but it''s easy once you''ve done it once.

The only problem I had was how to use vi to edit my configuration files after the installation. :p I wonder how many commands that console based editor has...

Thanks, both of you.

Still no luck with 2 and 3 though.
vi, namely vim, is THE editor. nothing comes close to its speed and power. anyway,

enable VGA mode selection support in your kernel, then pass the vga=ask parameter to the kernel. itll prompt you with a list of modes and options to choose. once you find a mode you like you can do vga= to automatically use that mode.

there are no viruses on linux. a couple worms that actually fix your system, but no viruses. check out what kind of daemons you have running on your box, and shut off the ones you dont use.

if you want to be sure you dont have viruses threatening your system, DONT use root. period.

saai
vim is powerful once you know all the commands, just like gdb is powerful once you know all the commands. But for a beginner, both are just horrible to use.

There _are_ virii for Linux. I''ve never had one actually infect my system, but I''ve found several and analyzed (disassembled) one of them. That one was a pretty simple ELF infector.
And of course there still are a few source virii around

cu,
Prefect

One line of sourcecode says more than a thousand words.
Widelands - laid back, free software strategy

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement