Advertisement

Home Servers and Source Control

Started by September 04, 2011 03:22 PM
2 comments, last by Cornstalks 13 years ago
I don't think I've ever asked so many questions in the Lounge before until these last couple weeks. I thought of posting this in the Multiplayer and Network Programming forums, but it's not actually network programming, though it does have to do with networking and programming.

I'm just starting a new project, and I'd really like to use some kind of version control to manage it (I've never used version control on my personal projects, only my work's projects). I'm not sure if I'll go with SVN, Git, or one of the many others. Anyway, here's what I have in mind:

I've got a few computers at home, and one of them I've booted with Linux (Ubuntu Server 11.04). I'd like it to become my home's personal server (used mainly for source control... not much else). I'd like to be able to set it up so that I can access that computer from anywhere in the world, not just when I'm on my home network. The only two things I really need to be able to do with it is access the source control so I can commit/update/checkout/etc, and SSH into the computer to tweak things remotely if needed. However, I'm getting stuck on the "access it from anywhere in the world" part. I could easily set it up and access it from my home network, but I have no clue how to make it so I can access it from the outside world.

This is possible to do, right? And if so, how do I go about doing it? Are there any good resources that I can read up on? Thanks!
[size=2][ I was ninja'd 71 times before I stopped counting a long time ago ] [ f.k.a. MikeTacular ] [ My Blog ] [ SWFer: Gaplessly looped MP3s in your Flash games ]
Assuming you have a standard connection to the internet (ie. a router + dynamic ip address):

You could establish a Virtual Private Network (for example with OpenVPN, etc...) and then setup a dynamic DNS service to bind your dynamic ip to a domain of your choice. Furthermore you forward a port of your choice (whatever your VPN uses) to your linux machine and then configure the router (if supported) to automatically report your ip to the dynamic DNS provider. Your client then simply joins the vpn that has been established by your server.

Advertisement
Look into Dynamic DNS. It is like giving yourself a static IP for your computer so when you try to connect you can use that IP and your regular login info.

EDIT: SiS-Shadowman beat me too it. lol.
Sweet, thank you both so much for your super fast responses. I was actually looking into VPNs (OpenVPN) and dynamic DNS services (NoIP, etc.) yesterday, but I wasn't actually sure if those were going to be the right tools or not so I wanted to ask here before I tried setting anything up. I'll give those a whirl and, with fingers crossed, hopefully it'll all work out nicely.
[size=2][ I was ninja'd 71 times before I stopped counting a long time ago ] [ f.k.a. MikeTacular ] [ My Blog ] [ SWFer: Gaplessly looped MP3s in your Flash games ]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement