Advertisement

What games would you most like a clone of?

Started by August 26, 2011 12:07 AM
39 comments, last by O-san 13 years ago
Maybe this goes slightly against the spirit of creativity we usually promote around here. But from a point of view of assessing what there's player demand for, I think it's a question worth asking. And we'll assume that "clone" here means enough of the details are changed that there is no copyright violation.

So, what game have you played that you really just want another of the same thing and can't find it? And I suppose we'll also allow a game where you want a clone with one specific change, if you think the original had one major flaw or lack. Anything that, whenever you remember it, makes you think "Argh why isn't there more of this kind of thing?" Don't put just the game name, at least say what genre it is and why it's particularly cool for people who've never heard of it.

I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me. I also love pet-breeding games.

Diablo 2. I don't want that garish, money-grasping, hideous thing that is being birthed by the unholy union of Blizzard and Activision, either, but a clean, true spiritual successor of D1 and 2.
Advertisement
Exactly what JTippetts said.
I'm not sold on Diablo 3 being a disaster yet. Granted, Diablo 1 & 2 are very tough acts to follow. A Sci-fi version would be awesome too.

I'm more after an Elite / Freespace 2 clone. Space sim / shooter. What is awesome about them? Everything. That's why they are legendary.
Gothic 1
The original developers just didn't realize what they got right, and nothing like it was ever created again.
Tribes 2, particularly because the game has been long gone and nothing else really lived up to that kind of gameplay. But Tribes Ascend looks promising, I'm remaining cautiously optimistic.
Vampire the Masquarade: Bloodlines - the atmosphere and the world felt just so alive. And I loved that the vamps actually felt believable, with their constant squabble and politics, rather than mere "har har I suck your blood!"

Diablo 2. I don't want that garish, money-grasping, hideous thing that is being birthed by the unholy union of Blizzard and Activision, either, but a clean, true spiritual successor of D1 and 2.

Really? Like we don't have enough hack and slash dungeon crawlers out there already, particularly in the indie since? I mean heck - torchlight is like the peak of hack and slash clicfest.

Comrade, Listen! The Glorious Commonwealth's first Airship has been compromised! Who is the saboteur? Who can be saved? Uncover what the passengers are hiding and write the grisly conclusion of its final hours in an open-ended, player-driven adventure. Dziekujemy! -- Karaski: What Goes Up...
Advertisement
Old school SNES or PS1 RPGs redone with a modern graphics engine. Games like Chrono Trigger, Suikoden (and Suikoden II), Secret of Mana, Illusion of Gaia. I had so much fun with those games as a kid and I haven't grown out of that genre, I just refuse to play most modern RPGs because there are more cinematics and cut scenes than actual game play. Studios go so out of control with the graphics that they forget what made those games special. I want an open world map, a lot of towns, items, dungeons, weapons, upgrades, characters, a good story - and I want to actually play the game the entire time. God of War did it right - no loading, no cut scenes, just action. I haven't played a Final Fantasy in years because if I want to watch a movie I have plenty of DVDs and Blurays with much better stories and acting. :)

I'd also love to see Ultima Online (the original, from the 90s) redone in a modern way.

Also - give me a good baseball game like Hardball II/III or Bottom... of..... the ninth.

Also - give me a football game that isn't called Madden.

Damn, a lot of requests I have. Anyone have millions of dollars they want to spend?
[size="1"]"For any absurd set of thinking, you can probably find a non-zero percentage of the population who is utterly convinced of its truth."
Blizzard games are capable of no wrong in my eyes......
I'm hoping for a Plants vs. Zombies 2, since that's probably the single best game I've played in the past two years.

Something new in the Fish Tycoon/Plant Tycoon series. I'd be seriously happy if they changed it to something other than waitplay, but that's that company's trademark.

Pocket Frogs for PC. Screw i-device only games. :angry:

Wizard 101 but for an older audience. I'm imagining the humor would translate to somewhere between British comedy and South Park.

A Tale In the Desert but with combat. Preferably turn-based tactical combat, but any combination of ATitD's tech tree with combat would be one of the few "sandbox" games I'd actually want to play.

Some new high-budget non-horror adventure games would be nice, it doesn't seem like anyone makes those any more.

A clone of vagrant story but for PC, with gamepad support, and a new story but equally good as the original.

I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me. I also love pet-breeding games.

An MMO like Ultima online but using the technology and knowledge currently available. The level to which you could interact with the game world is unmatched compared to any mmo I've played.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement