Advertisement

indiecity.com

Started by August 24, 2011 11:12 AM
3 comments, last by awefdbgb 13 years ago
hi people,

Just wondering what you think of this indiecity.com, I know its not released yet but I've been reading some interviews -

http://www.rockpaper...hop-for-indies/

and

http://www.indiegame...city-interview/

and I think it sounds like it is going to be really cool. A good way for indie developer to get games noticed without having to go through a submission process like Steam, where if they turn you down you might as well stop production (maybe a tad extreme).

Any thoughts?

"To know the road ahead, ask those coming back."

I think it's a great idea. I'm working on a couple of games that I hope to have ready in time for launch. We'll have to wait and see how well it does I guess. :)

Former Microsoft XNA and Xbox MVP | Check out my blog for random ramblings on game development

Advertisement

Just wondering what you think of this indiecity.com,

I think it's a great idea, but I'm starting to get tired of people who think being indie is synonymous with being artsy/creative. There are plenty of totally uncreative manufactured indie games and plenty of creative awesome games being made by studios many might consider cogs in the machine.

Sorry to ruin the thread with a mini rant, but their, "Game should be cool, artsy...; not manufactured and recycled." thing kind of came off as a greater-than-though thing, which bugs me because shit stinks regardless of how much/little money you have or how many/few studios you have trying to develop it.
I completely agree,

I also think there are "[color=#1C2837][size=2]cool, artsy...; not manufactured and recycled" games that are a large pile of w**k but people love them because they're cool and funky. This annoys me to no end because people give them good reviews so I play them and then think. "well, this could have been a good game, it's very pretty.........." and never play it again. But this is a different topic entirely. But I agree with you this does not define an indie game in any way.
[color=#1C2837][size=2]

[color="#1c2837"]I really hope they make indiecity feel quite different to Steam and the like, I like how they say there will be sources available to help people make their games and I like the idea of the targeted marking of games which usually I love to rant about but deep down I do love people showing me things I like to see. Without this I find that games do tend to get lost in the depths of the system. But we will see how well they achieve this aim.
[color="#1c2837"]

[color="#1c2837"]x
[color="#1c2837"]

[color="#1c2837"]

"To know the road ahead, ask those coming back."

It's rare for me to agree with way2lazy2care, but I do agree with him on this one. Don't put all your indies in one basket.

Although I can see that such a criteria could be good for this website to keep to such a niche, otherwise where do you draw the line between indie and professional? You will end up with big fish ruling the pond like in all other game stores.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement