🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

why is there nothing on the linux board

Started by
51 comments, last by billgates 22 years, 9 months ago
This sucks linux is cool.
Gamecube sucks microsoft
Advertisement
I have Red Hat on my dual boot and my roommate has Mandrake. Although, we are short on money right now and can not buy the nessecary things we need to get on line with Linux. So right now, on my dual boot, I am just using Win 9x. Although, probably next semester, when we get the money to get our Linux running, we will bring our disciples with us. Then the games will be. Muhahahahah!!!

-----------------------------
"There are ones that say they can and there are those who actually do."

"...u can not learn programming in a class, you have to learn it on your own."

Edited by - cMADsc on September 19, 2001 4:01:31 PM
-----------------------------"There are ones that say they can and there are those who actually do.""...u can not learn programming in a class, you have to learn it on your own."
cMADsc:

About your signature, you cannot learn in a class, I agree, but you cannot be hired unless you have taken the class.

"I''ve sparred with creatures from the nine hells themselves... I barely plan on breaking a sweat here, today."~Drizzt Do''Urden
------------------------------Put THAT in your smoke and pipe it
I totallay agree with you DD, maybe I should edit my sig. I know fellow classmates who took the class but did not get the concept behind the language. They expect to learn everything in class. Although, they are quit to put it on their resume that they know it. Just because you know how to write a For loop does not mean you know the language. Enough for now, back to my coding!!!!

-----------------------------"There are ones that say they can and there are those who actually do.""...u can not learn programming in a class, you have to learn it on your own."
I havent even gone to school yet, for C++ I mean. Yesterday someone asked me to write thier program for them so they could get a C in school.

LOL

People who take classes arent serios about what goes on with thier programming career, and they are still hired to work. Thats why todays games suck.

"I''ve sparred with creatures from the nine hells themselves... I barely plan on breaking a sweat here, today."~Drizzt Do''Urden
------------------------------Put THAT in your smoke and pipe it
I hate to break up your unfounded school bashing, but most likely if you think you can''t learn programming in a class it is just because you haven''t yet been exposed to a good teacher.
quote: Original post by cMADsc
Although, we are short on money right now and can not buy the nessecary things we need to get on line with Linux

Like what? All the necessary Linux software is free; you probably just haven''t configured your hardware right. What NIC (read; ethernet card) do you have? Find out which chipset it uses (a very common one is the RTL8165 or so; another is from 3COM). You need to either compile the driver (read: kernel module) and tell your kernel to load it on bootup (edit your modules.conf file) or build it into your kernel (makes more sense since you''ll probably want it all the time. The process is basically the same if you use a dialup modem, just the module names change.

Next you need to start your network services. For broadband (cable, DSL, etc) you can use bootp or dhcp (all you need is dhcp-client, since you''re not trying to configure DHCP service to another machine - at least, not just yet ). For dialup you''ll want to start ipproto.

You can use linuxconf to set these to automatically start every time you boot Linux. And go read the relevant HOWTOs. You can find them here.
The things we are lacking are 2 ethernet cards, cat 5 cables and a router. We have an internal dsl modem. School seems to take all my money and punetane. I have had some bad teachers but I do not expect school to spoon feed me everything. If I stayed dependent on school I would probably still be programming in pascal. I got my taste of MSVC 6.0, win 32, opengl, and c++ when I went on CO-OP. Coding on my own has got me where I am now. The

Computer M.A.D. Scientist

Majority of the people in one of my classes do not even know what Linux is.

quote: Original post by cMADsc
Majority of the people in one of my classes do not even know what Linux is.

Because they don''t need to. It sucks for most things.
Look at me, I''m Oluseyi I got to linux forums to bash linux

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement