🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Linux game console project

Started by
0 comments, last by sdl 12 years, 9 months ago
In the past, there was this idea for a physical linux game console. Does anyone know what happened to the project other than it is no longer available?
General Studies A.S - College of Southern Nevada 2003 GPA 2.3
Advertisement
I remember a console called EVO, something like couple years ago.
I don't know if EVO was successful, but looks like they are developing an EVO 2: http://store.envizionsinc.com/gamebox-console-powered-by-android-pre-order.html
This is more a PC plugged in the TV with some games then a real game console.

Doing a new game console is a risk business. Recently a brazilian game company called TecToy developed a console called Zeebo. And the Zeebo was really well done, there was a dashboard, some good games (of course really simple games), there was no CD's or cartridges was all through 3g network and you didn't have to pay for the 3g connection (only the game price), there was games made exclusively for Zeebo (developed with the influence of the local culture), all content was in brazilian portuguese.

Zeebo used some cellphone OS from Qualcomm, wasn't linux. But I'm just using it to illustrate here. Zeebo was already in Brazil and Mexico and China would be the next one. The console was really well done, it had bugs (but who hasn't on released? hey xbox 360...) and the games were not fun like the big consoles, but, it was a really well done console. I don't know exactly the reason but TecToy are not producing any Zeebo consoles or content for it anymore. There are no new games and there are already a date to the service stop working, they are shutting down the whole thing.

Developing a console to fight against the 3 big ones it's not a task for a small company (not even big, must be HUGE). Apple's console and Dreamcast 2 rumors comes to my mind, but I really doubt it that we gonna see another big one for some time.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement