Advertisement

My friend is starting to like Java (help!)

Started by July 19, 2011 08:52 PM
31 comments, last by Nypyren 13 years, 2 months ago
Iam sorry but I just have to stand up for Java here, I <3 Java its my favorite language, Iam a .NET C# developer at work, but I much prefer to work on my own Java based projects, I dont know why but I just find coding in Java more enjoyable.

Iam sorry but I just have to stand up for Java here, I <3 Java its my favorite language, Iam a .NET C# developer at work, but I much prefer to work on my own Java based projects, I dont know why but I just find coding in Java more enjoyable.

Why do you like Java better than C#? I'm not disputing your choice, but I'd be interested to know the reasons behind it.
if you think programming is like sex, you probably haven't done much of either.-------------- - capn_midnight
Advertisement
Death by firing squad.

It's the only way.

Seriously, though, I'd rather get stabbed in the eye with an ice pick every morning than keep using C++, so at least he's moving towards the lesser of two evils. Which is not to say Java isn't a horrid language, it's just... much less horrid than C++.

Wielder of the Sacred Wands
[Work - ArenaNet] [Epoch Language] [Scribblings]

A bullet between his eyes. It's cruel but if you are a true friend you should release him from this madness. :P
Sometimes I think this whole elite C++ stuff is just insane. The vast majority of amateur programmers are not writing software that needs to take advantage of the "amazing speed increase" in C++. Its so silly when new people are told "use C++ its the industry standard" or "dont use Java, its slow". I can guarantee that most of these people have never even hit a limitation of Javas speed yet, let alone absolutely need to use C++.

I cant tell you how many times class mates of mine question why I program games in Java. I do it because I havent yet found a reason not too, and most of the people saying its "slow" dont even know if thats true :)

CRAZY TALK!
Never, ever stop learning.
- Me
Java.jpg
[size="1"]*I think Java is just another language. Use whatever, man.
I'm that imaginary number in the parabola of life.
Advertisement

[quote name='SimonForsman' timestamp='1311109491' post='4837624']
[quote name='Tiner' timestamp='1311108768' post='4837617']
My programmer is starting to like java more then c++! What should I do?

This is quite natural, Java only starts to look bad when you compare it to C#, compared to C++ its pretty darn nice to work with.
[/quote]

I came here to say essentially this.
[/quote]

I came here to say essentially this also!!!
Edge cases will show your design flaws in your code!
Visit my site
Visit my FaceBook
Visit my github

Sometimes I think this whole elite C++ stuff is just insane. The vast majority of amateur programmers are not writing software that needs to take advantage of the "amazing speed increase" in C++. Its so silly when new people are told "use C++ its the industry standard" or "dont use Java, its slow". I can guarantee that most of these people have never even hit a limitation of Javas speed yet, let alone absolutely need to use C++.

I cant tell you how many times class mates of mine question why I program games in Java. I do it because I havent yet found a reason not too, and most of the people saying its "slow" dont even know if thats true :)

CRAZY TALK!

I agree completely vs C++. However C# > Java > C++. The tools are simply amazing, and the language is evolving quite nicely.

We are surely not talking about the same Java. You do mean the language that goes to extra effort to enforce verbosity in every aspect of the syntax, and which standard library provides no less than 5 mutually-incompatible ways to read a file, right?
That said, I don't really dislike Java. I just find it to be a verbose and much less-friendly alternative to Python :)

Umm, yessir. I was actually thinking about the language rules when I said that. There's nothing like refs, pointers, unsigned, stack allocated classes, restricted MI (the "interface" thing), etc. Next to C# and C++ it strikes me as feature light.

I realize though there are more aspects to the product than that, such as the standard library and naming convention. You are correct. I just had something very specific in mind when I made that comment.

We are surely not talking about the same Java. You do mean the language that goes to extra effort to enforce verbosity in every aspect of the syntax, and which standard library provides no less than 5 mutually-incompatible ways to read a file, right?
That said, I don't really dislike Java. I just find it to be a verbose and much less-friendly alternative to Python :)

Umm, yessir. I was actually thinking about the language rules when I said that. There's nothing like refs, pointers, stack allocated classes, unsigned integers, type punning, restricted MI (the "interface" thing), etc. Next to C# and C++ it strikes me as feature light and strict. Like safety scissors.

I realize though there are more aspects to the product than that, such as the standard library and naming convention. You are correct. I just had something very specific in mind when I made that comment.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement