Advertisement

Selling eternal life! Is anyone interested?

Started by May 05, 2011 01:43 PM
64 comments, last by Hodgman 13 years, 3 months ago

There is no evidence for this thing you call a soul and it completely contradicts even abstract logic. Where is this soul? I can cut off a person's arms and legs yet their soul is not gone. I can replace organs with new ones yet the person never takes on the personality of the donor. Obviously it must be in their head. If I preform a lobotomy on them they still have feelings, thoughts, and memories. If I cut off their cerebellum they simply have severe problems with motor skills but again they have complex thoughts and feelings.

I can do this for many parts of the brain yet they still exhibit thoughts and feelings. When I get into the limbic system suddenly I am having an effect on this thing they call a soul. But wait... What's this... When I cut out different parts the individual only loses aspects of their soul... It's almost as if this is some type of biological system?! ohmy.gif But I thought souls ran on magic and pixie dust?!

Like the other poster who mentioned a "soul", I did not mean it in a religious sense, I meant it as the center of self and consciousness. I did not imply anything about magic and pixie dust, I merely said that consciousness is not very well understood. Ignoring the fact that many scientists consider the definition of a limbic system to be obsolete and unuseful, the organs used under that term control emotion and memory, this still has nothing to do with a sense of self (you could argue its an emotional sense and it is in a way, but does taking away all emotion and feeling remove your self-identity? Can you still look at someone and think "thats John Smith"? If yes, then can you see yourself and say "thats me"? Then seeing a copy of yourself, would you still say "thats me"? A copy is still a separate entity). Do you have any references to medical or scientific studies where damaging these organs lead to the subject losing a sense of self?
Anyway, I am sure its a biological system, I just don't think we're very close to understanding its function. If you reread my post I said that there is a higher function which controls our consciousness and sense of self (which religion calls a "soul" and attributes to supernatural forces - I do no such attribution, I'm just reusing their term because it has a similar observable end result), that we do not currently understand it and that if we do some day understand it scientifically, it will most likely be after our lifetimes (going by our current level of understanding and by what I've been told by researchers in neuroscience and BCI). I did not ever claim that the "soul" was not a biological system.

You also did not address the fact that if you do a copy-and-paste that there are two "you"'s and that the original "you" will still not feel like the second person is them. Do identical twins think they are one person? Would a cloned human think they are the original? They have the same genetic make-up. If they also have the same memories, does that make them the same person? If that is so, in the future when we can implant memories and reprogram our DNA, can I become you? What if I now kill the original (making it a cut-and-paste)? If you transplant part of the person (ie, keep the organs that create a sense of self) and rebuild the rest of the body, then it is really just an extreme repair job and the concept of a "soul" (as a biological system or otherwise) still remains.

As I see it, if you can duplicate a body and they are identical in every way, identical DNA, identical cell structure, identical memories, at the point of duplication, they are both the exact same. Both have a sense of identity. If they feel that the they and the copy are the same bing or not is irrelevant. What if one now goes one way and the other another, now their experiences and their memories will diverge. Maybe one falls and breaks a bone or catches a cold or something. Now they aren't even physically identical any more. Are they one person regardless? I think if something has the potential to be different than something else, then it is not really the same entity. If it were, then changing one would also change the other (kinda like quantum entanglement). A Brain in a Vat makes some good points here though. What if we can duplicate our bodies and our identity with it? What if both bodies think that both are one and the same? What if memories were somehow synchronized between both bodies? If they were in a state of quantum entanglement and changing one also changed the other. I guess it would be a kind of hive-mind, but would each still have its own individuality and sense of identity, except with a shared cognition and shared memories, or would they both be the one in every way? It would be very strange then to have two sets of senses (possibly in different locations) and still identify as one. I suppose its not impossible if you then think of a body like a cell within a larger organism, contributing to a single consciousness.

If we could ever reach that point, technologically, though is, in my humble opinion, doubtful. The questions that arise from this are difficult, if not impossible, to answer. In any case, *we* will not live to see it.

EDIT: One thing I have to credit SteveDeFacto with is getting everyone to argue about this :) It would make an awesome concept for a game and you could explore some pretty interesting questions!
Shiiii, I could become the president of a country or a king.. if I have major plastic surgery, study that person and think and talk like them in every single manner and then replace them.
Advertisement

[quote name='SteveDeFacto' timestamp='1304731887' post='4807548']
There is no evidence for this thing you call a soul and it completely contradicts even abstract logic. Where is this soul? I can cut off a person's arms and legs yet their soul is not gone. I can replace organs with new ones yet the person never takes on the personality of the donor. Obviously it must be in their head. If I preform a lobotomy on them they still have feelings, thoughts, and memories. If I cut off their cerebellum they simply have severe problems with motor skills but again they have complex thoughts and feelings.

I can do this for many parts of the brain yet they still exhibit thoughts and feelings. When I get into the limbic system suddenly I am having an effect on this thing they call a soul. But wait... What's this... When I cut out different parts the individual only loses aspects of their soul... It's almost as if this is some type of biological system?! ohmy.gif But I thought souls ran on magic and pixie dust?!

Like the other poster who mentioned a "soul", I did not mean it in a religious sense, I meant it as the center of self and consciousness. I did not imply anything about magic and pixie dust, I merely said that consciousness is not very well understood. Ignoring the fact that many scientists consider the definition of a limbic system to be obsolete and unuseful, the organs used under that term control emotion and memory, this still has nothing to do with a sense of self (you could argue its an emotional sense and it is in a way, but does taking away all emotion and feeling remove your self-identity? Can you still look at someone and think "thats John Smith"? If yes, then can you see yourself and say "thats me"? Then seeing a copy of yourself, would you still say "thats me"? A copy is still a separate entity). Do you have any references to medical or scientific studies where damaging these organs lead to the subject losing a sense of self?
Anyway, I am sure its a biological system, I just don't think we're very close to understanding its function. If you reread my post I said that there is a higher function which controls our consciousness and sense of self (which religion calls a "soul" and attributes to supernatural forces - I do no such attribution, I'm just reusing their term because it has a similar observable end result), that we do not currently understand it and that if we do some day understand it scientifically, it will most likely be after our lifetimes (going by our current level of understanding and by what I've been told by researchers in neuroscience and BCI). I did not ever claim that the "soul" was not a biological system.

You also did not address the fact that if you do a copy-and-paste that there are two "you"'s and that the original "you" will still not feel like the second person is them. Do identical twins think they are one person? Would a cloned human think they are the original? They have the same genetic make-up. If they also have the same memories, does that make them the same person? If that is so, in the future when we can implant memories and reprogram our DNA, can I become you? What if I now kill the original (making it a cut-and-paste)? If you transplant part of the person (ie, keep the organs that create a sense of self) and rebuild the rest of the body, then it is really just an extreme repair job and the concept of a "soul" (as a biological system or otherwise) still remains.

As I see it, if you can duplicate a body and they are identical in every way, identical DNA, identical cell structure, identical memories, at the point of duplication, they are both the exact same. Both have a sense of identity. If they feel that the they and the copy are the same bing or not is irrelevant. What if one now goes one way and the other another, now their experiences and their memories will diverge. Maybe one falls and breaks a bone or catches a cold or something. Now they aren't even physically identical any more. Are they one person regardless? I think if something has the potential to be different than something else, then it is not really the same entity. If it were, then changing one would also change the other (kinda like quantum entanglement). A Brain in a Vat makes some good points here though. What if we can duplicate our bodies and our identity with it? What if both bodies think that both are one and the same? What if memories were somehow synchronized between both bodies? If they were in a state of quantum entanglement and changing one also changed the other. I guess it would be a kind of hive-mind, but would each still have its own individuality and sense of identity, except with a shared cognition and shared memories, or would they both be the one in every way? It would be very strange then to have two sets of senses (possibly in different locations) and still identify as one. I suppose its not impossible if you then think of a body like a cell within a larger organism, contributing to a single consciousness.

If we could ever reach that point, technologically, though is, in my humble opinion, doubtful. The questions that arise from this are difficult, if not impossible, to answer. In any case, *we* will not live to see it.

EDIT: One thing I have to credit SteveDeFacto with is getting everyone to argue about this :) It would make an awesome concept for a game and you could explore some pretty interesting questions!
[/quote]

Since when was the definition of the limbic system "obsolete and unuseful?" That sounds like a personal opinion or belief to me... Anyway, yes if you remove the limbic system the person would no longer have a sense of self... Mainly because they would be a complete vegetable but I'm pretty sure vegetables don't have a sense of self though this has not been scientifically proven. For all we know every vegetable has this soul you speak of... Next time you're eating a salad I want you to think about that...

Since when was the definition of the limbic system "obsolete and unuseful?" That sounds like a personal opinion or belief to me...

[font=sans-serif][size=2]Ledoux, J., (2003). Synaptic Self. New York: Penguin Books.[/font]
[font=sans-serif][size=2]
[/font]
[font=sans-serif][size=2]Quote in The Minder Brain by Joe Herbert makes a good point: the term is useful because it has recognition, but it is also inadequate for what it is used. The bigger problem, IMHO, though is that "everyone thinks he knows what is meant when he hears it". That is, while it is almost universally recognized, the definitions vary from person to person.[/font]
[font="sans-serif"][size=2]
[/font]
[font=sans-serif][size=2]
[/font]
Anyway, yes if you remove the limbic system the person would no longer have a sense of self... Mainly because they would be a complete vegetable but I'm pretty sure vegetables don't have a sense of self though this has not been scientifically proven.
[/quote]
We have no way of knowing that a person in a vegetative state has no consciousness or sense of self or identity at all. It is assumed they do not, but I don't know if we'll ever know this for sure. If not, then are they actually alive and human anymore?

For all we know every vegetable has this soul you speak of... Next time you're eating a salad I want you to think about that...
[/quote]
I always did say that vegetarians keep eating the environment they care about so much. Plants are people too!

[quote name='SteveDeFacto' timestamp='1304768937' post='4807648']
Since when was the definition of the limbic system "obsolete and unuseful?" That sounds like a personal opinion or belief to me...

[font="sans-serif"]Ledoux, J., (2003). Synaptic Self. New York: Penguin Books.[/font]

[font="sans-serif"]Quote in The Minder Brain by Joe Herbert makes a good point: the term is useful because it has recognition, but it is also inadequate for what it is used. The bigger problem, IMHO, though is that "everyone thinks he knows what is meant when he hears it". That is, while it is almost universally recognized, the definitions vary from person to person.[/font]

[font="sans-serif"]
[/font]
Anyway, yes if you remove the limbic system the person would no longer have a sense of self... Mainly because they would be a complete vegetable but I'm pretty sure vegetables don't have a sense of self though this has not been scientifically proven.
[/quote]
We have no way of knowing that a person in a vegetative state has no consciousness or sense of self or identity at all. It is assumed they do not, but I don't know if we'll ever know this for sure. If not, then are they actually alive and human anymore?

For all we know every vegetable has this soul you speak of... Next time you're eating a salad I want you to think about that...
[/quote]
I always did say that vegetarians keep eating the environment they care about so much. Plants are people too!

[/quote]

I see your point about the limbic system. The definition is not entirely clear which parts make up the limbic system but it generally refers to the parts which allow the brain to have a sense of self among other things. Other then that I guess everyone is entitled to their own opinion no matter how ridiculous it may seem...

I'm surprised no one mentioned Tron.

has anyone mentioned Ghost In the Shell?

Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.

Advertisement
I don't know why people make immortality has to necessarily be where you live forever. Instead you simply just alter brain's perception of time. Where a second feels like an hour. We already experience this in some shape or form everyday. Like how it feels that time goes by faster when you're having fun and vice versa when you're bored time feels like it's crawling by. When your having a dream it feels like a really long time but when you wake up you realize you only been a sleep for 2 hours. I could go on and on with examples that happen every day.

I'm no scientist but simply identifying the part of the brain that controls this perception of time( if we haven't already ) and finding a way to alter it ever so slightly.

I don't know why people make immortality has to necessarily be where you live forever. Instead you simply just alter brain's perception of time. Where a second feels like an hour. We already experience this in some shape or form everyday. Like how it feels that time goes by faster when you're having fun and vice versa when you're bored time feels like it's crawling by. When your having a dream it feels like a really long time but when you wake up you realize you only been a sleep for 2 hours. I could go on and on with examples that happen every day.

I'm no scientist but simply identifying the part of the brain that controls this perception of time( if we haven't already ) and finding a way to alter it ever so slightly.

I don't think perceiving time differently would help me feel more fulfilled in my life or put my mind to rest when the end really comes.
has anyone mentioned Ghost In the Shell?
I've only seen the film - but it's rogue AI does give it's captors a good lecture about not thinking through the ramifications of their invention of the ability to externalise memories, and what it now means for the notion of identity.
As an autonomous life-form, l request political asylum.

A life-form? Ridiculous! You're merely a self-preserving program!

By that argument, l submit the DNA you carry is nothing more than a self-preserving program itself.
Life is like a node which is born within the flow of information.
As a species of life that carries DNA as its memory system man gains his individuality from the memories he carries.
While memories may as well be the same as fantasy it is by these memories that mankind exists.
When computers made it possible to externalize memory you should have considered all the implications that held.

Nonsense! No matter what you say you've no proof that you're a life-form!

lt is impossible to prove such a thing. Especially since modern science cannot define what life is.

Who the devil are you?
Even if you have a ghost, criminals don't get set free!
You're mistaken if you think you'll get asylum!

Time is on my side. While there is now the possibility l can be killed this country does not have a death penalty.

Half immortal An artificial intelligence?

l am not an A.l. My code name is Project 2501. l am a life-form that was born in the sea of information. [/quote]
Read the manga, it gives a deeper insight behind 2501, not just that, but also in cyborg tech in general. Masamune Shirow's imagination is pretty amazing.
Latest project: Sideways Racing on the iPad

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement