🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Running Linux on a Network

Started by
4 comments, last by cMADsc 22 years, 9 months ago
Greetings all, my roomate and I are currently running a network at our apartment with DSL. Although we are running Windows right now. Now we want to be able to run Linux also on network. We both have been reading up on Linux network. My roommate said that there are no DSL Linux modems and that we can not use the phone line for the network. What we know so far is that we each need an ethernet card and cable wire to connect. Any additional information that anyone can add would be appreciate. Need info on what is the best type of ethernet card and wire to get. Also, is 3com good to use? Thx in advance. ----------------------------- "There are ones that say they can and there are those who actually do." "...u can not learn programming in a class, you have to learn it on your own."
-----------------------------"There are ones that say they can and there are those who actually do.""...u can not learn programming in a class, you have to learn it on your own."
Advertisement
You need to double check your setup.

If you are both using the same DSL modem (You each have a cable running to the same DSL modem box) then you probably already have an ethernet card. Linux should be able to work in your setup just fine.
With regards to ethernet cards, I would recommend LinkSys and D-Link. Cheap, reliable, fast, well supported. If it''s an external DSL modem (as mine is), the it doesn''t have to be ''supported'' in Linux. As Mr. AP said, you just connect a cable from your network card to the back of the modem.

~~~~~~~~~~
Martee
ReactOS - an Open-source operating system compatible with Windows NT apps and drivers
An ethernet card is probably what you'll need (it's also the easiest way ). Linux works fine on my network with an external Cisco router, an ethernet card and a hub, even though the router is (supposedly) not supported under Linux (since it's the ethernet card that does the work, it doesn't make a difference ). The only 3Com I've bought was either faulty or sucked (under Windows even), but most people don't have those problems. I don't know too much about the reputation of ethernet card brands, so just listen to other people .

[Resist Windows XP's Invasive Production Activation Technology!]

Edited by - Null and Void on September 10, 2001 5:16:36 PM
Here is some more information. We are using an internal modem and ICS(Internet Connection Sharing) and the Win2k. My roommate has Mandrake and I have Red Hat Linux 7.0.

-----------------------------
"There are ones that say they can and there are those who actually do."

"...u can not learn programming in a class, you have to learn it on your own."

-----------------------------"There are ones that say they can and there are those who actually do.""...u can not learn programming in a class, you have to learn it on your own."

You''re going to need to configure the W2K machine as a router which I know little about so someone else will have to tell you if that''s feasible.

You''ll need an ethernet card for each computer, one ethernet hub or switch, and some cables to connect with. The cable brand doesn''t matter, as long as it says it''s a CAT5 cable. (You don''t want CAT3, no matter what the salesman says. )

3com is the king of ethernet cards, at least in my area. (Then again, I live close by 3com''s HQ) They make solid hardware, but they have been known to have driver problems in the past. They probably aren''t worth the high price you need to pay for them.

I second the recommendation of linksys cards, but if cash is a concern for you guys, any old cheapo ne2000 compatible card (~$10) will work. Just make sure it''s a 100BT or a 10BT - The others will use connectors that aren''t very common any more.

You can go to http://www.redhat.com/support/hardware/ to check compatibility of any specific netcard with linux before you buy it.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement