Advertisement

The Reference Frame -- Why humanoids are not used in Fukushima?

Started by March 16, 2011 08:41 PM
4 comments, last by taby 13 years, 6 months ago
Alpha_ProgDes, do please hold your snickering for two shakes of a lamb's tail... :P

The Reference Frame brought up a very good question today. Why humanoids are not used in Fukushima? I think it's a pretty neat idea.

It's better than my idea of sending in convicted murderers. Doh.

What do you guys think of the idea of sending in the robots? If you want to talk about the robots, there is the comments section on TRF, or here of course. :)

IMHO, if the robots do get sent in, then the robots would begin to deserve humanity's unconditional and permanent humble reverence. It would also be a boost for transhumanism. Just sayin.
are you actuallly serious. A post to asimo, that thing didnt even make it up 3 steps in a live demo. Why not just use remote controlled cars (like the bomb squads uses). They can move and have arms. Regardless I dont know how well radio waves transmit from outside those plants to inside (probably not at all), so you wouldnt have any control.

NBA2K, Madden, Maneater, Killing Floor, Sims

Advertisement
Your argument has been totally deconstructed. And no, some robots programmed with some specific AI does not give all robots humanities sanity.

Alpha_ProgDes, do please hold your snickering for two shakes of a lamb's tail... :P

The Reference Frame brought up a very good question today. Why humanoids are not used in Fukushima? I think it's a pretty neat idea.

It's better than my idea of sending in convicted murderers. Doh.

What do you guys think of the idea of sending in the robots? If you want to talk about the robots, there is the comments section on TRF, or here of course. :)

IMHO, if the robots do get sent in, then the robots would begin to deserve humanity's unconditional and permanent humble reverence. It would also be a boost for transhumanism. Just sayin.

Why single me out for snickering? lol.

I will say this. If this is being asked in Japan, even as a joke, then I have a good feeling that robotics is going to get a major boost in R & D. Or even nanotechnology. An example of what could be researched is:

GITS Wikia">
2015 Development of the "Japanese Miracle"

• Japan remained passive while the war went on, until the city of Tokyo was destroyed by a nuclear blast, and even then, only became involved with the war in the background, never committing the Japan Self-Defense Forces to actual combat. By the end of the war, several of the world's powers had fallen. Virtually the only unaffected power left in the world was Japan, because the damage from the war was minimized by the "Japanese Miracle," a swarm of micromachines capable of removing radiation from the environment. The arrival of the Japanese Miracle is said to have contributed to America's waning power; since nuclear fallout could now be mitigated, American nuclear weapons were no longer as powerful.

Yes, it's from fiction. But science fiction has been known to become science reality.

Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.

Good point Alpha. There is always the future to think of. We can do remote surgery now, but not remote nuclear power plant operation. Maybe that will change now. I singled you out because I thought for some reason you didn't care for TRF. That's all. :)

As for the other two posters....

The article doesn't mean to imply that humanoids == ASIMO alone, though he does mention "two legs", which I don't agree with.

You two are not very creative. The Canadarm is humanoid insomuch that it is an arm with a good gripping thumb. Perhaps you think I was confusing humanoids with androids, but I wasn't? That would be like confusing function with form. Read the article! It also talks about helicopters in paragraph 5. Read the comments! I clearly don't mean to imply that AIBO pugs should be sent in. Fffuuu... Read. Add positive comments if you like.

I don't agree with the communications part of your posts though. How do you think the onsite computers communicate now? Carrier cockroaches? :)
Duplicate posts

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement