Advertisement

PC App Market Places

Started by March 12, 2011 01:01 AM
4 comments, last by Orbital Fan 13 years, 6 months ago
With Apple's App Store, The Market for Android and the Market Place for For Windows Mobile, if we are making games for the pc where can we get them to sell the apps. Is there such a place. any suggestions Thanks.

With Apple's App Store, The Market for Android and the Market Place for For Windows Mobile, if we are making games for the pc where can we get them to sell the apps. Is there such a place. any suggestions Thanks.

Are you talking about for games? If so, there are: Games for Windows Marketplace, Impulse, or Steam. There's also a newcomer called [url="http://www.desura.com/"]Desura [/url](by the company that owns IndieDB, and ModDB).
Otherwise, Microsoft is planning an app-store for Windows 8, but don't tell anyone, it's a secret.wink.gif
Advertisement
Predicted series of events;

• MS release Windows 8 with 'app store' built in
  • Large 3rd party devs go and whine to a goverment agency about anti-trust/anti-competative issues
  • MS investigated, found guilty, ordered to pay fines and include update/new version which informs people of other windows apps portals

Meanwhile Apple continue to come up with new and inventive ways to shaft the devs making their platform a success while the devs stick with them and defend them is some bizzare form of digital stockholm syndrome.

Predicted series of events;

• MS release Windows 8 with 'app store' built in
  • Large 3rd party devs go and whine to a goverment agency about anti-trust/anti-competative issues
  • MS investigated, found guilty, ordered to pay fines and include update/new version which informs people of other windows apps portals

Meanwhile Apple continue to come up with new and inventive ways to shaft the devs making their platform a success while the devs stick with them and defend them is some bizzare form of digital stockholm syndrome.

That would be quite likely, Microsoft is in a nasty position really, Being in what is essentially a monopoly position they aren't allowed to do everything they want even if its good for their customers aswell. (Using their desktop market position to kill off the PC digital download competition won't be looked at very favorably by most courts).

Hopefully Microsoft will lose some marketshare soon though(But i guess that won't happen until Apple starts selling their OS with everything you need bundled), if they drop to below the 50% mark it should be easy enough for competitors like steam to survive by offering a cross platform alternative (buy your games once, play on mac/windows/whatever as they allready do with steamplay) and Microsoft would be free to do whatever they want to improve their products rather than being prevented from integrating pretty much anything that a third party developer allready sells into their OS. (I'm surprised anti virus vendors hasn't screamed bloody murder about security essentials yet, allthough i guess its ok since its not installed by default ...)
[size="1"]I don't suffer from insanity, I'm enjoying every minute of it.
The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!
Isn't the big issue with an "PC App Market Place" the fact that you can natively get apps for PC from _anywhere_, whereas apple only supports one source (App Store) unless you *illegally* jail break it, thus going beyond its native feature set?

Otherwise, Microsoft is planning an app-store for Windows 8, but don't tell anyone, it's a secret.wink.gif

I'm pretty skeptical about about "super secret leaked business plans" but facial recognition as a form of login? Seriously? Someone needs to show MS this magic called facebook and color printers...

This is possibly one of the most beautiful allegories I have heard about Apple development. Bravo.
Comrade, Listen! The Glorious Commonwealth's first Airship has been compromised! Who is the saboteur? Who can be saved? Uncover what the passengers are hiding and write the grisly conclusion of its final hours in an open-ended, player-driven adventure. Dziekujemy! -- Karaski: What Goes Up...
This is such a Microsoft tragedy. As someone who works as a programmer in the game dev business, and is a keen PC gamer, and who reads PC gaming magazine: I've never heard of "Games for Windows Market Place".

Seriously WTF.

Microsoft need to look into their marketing strategies...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement