Advertisement

Getting Linux

Started by September 01, 2001 09:39 PM
13 comments, last by Azra 23 years, 1 month ago
quote: Original post by Azra
How exactly do i get linux ive downloaded the huge 600mb+ files but they are in .Iso format what do i do then?

Have no fear for you are not here

Like serveral people before have said burn it to CD. The only thing is you need burning software that can dearchive iso images I believe Niro and Easy CD Creater have the ability to do just that. I don''t know of any free ones.
quote: Original post by Azra
How exactly do i get linux ive downloaded the huge 600mb+ files but they are in .Iso format what do i do then?

Have no fear for you are not here

If you don''t have any luck with the iso images you can always buy it. I payed $25.00 for Linux-Mandrake 7.2 at a Wal-Mart.

Advertisement
quote: Original post by Aldacron
I wish it were that simple. I did not remove network support from the config, and I also tried compiling my card's driver both as part of the kernel and as a module. It craps out when dhcpd runs. Can't find the device. I suppose it's a driver thing, but the original config works fine. I'll keep it for now (2.2.19 kernel) until I can figure it out.

Did you by chance switch to a 2.4.x kernel? If so, that's probably your problem. There were quite a few changes to the networking w/ 2.4.x (especially ipchains vs. iptables, but IIRC some more as well), and even though they're supposed to be compatible, many people trip over the changes.
If you did upgrade, look around for an update of dhcpd and any other software closely related to network management / firewalling as well. (simpler server daemons such as inetd and apache should work fine without an update).

cu,
Prefect

One line of sourcecode says more than a thousand words.

Edited by - Prefect on September 3, 2001 1:01:19 PM
Widelands - laid back, free software strategy
Yes, I had the same problem with 2.4.5 and 2.4.9. Thanks for the tip.
I know this probably isn''t an option, but in Australia, one of the leading computer mags (APC) prodeces a series of Pocketbooks. For ~$10USD, you get RedHat 7, Mandrake 7.2, stacks of cool programs and utils on a total of 4 CDs, and a ~170 page book on how to get started. The Linux pocketbook is now in it''s third edition, and there''s an Advanced Linux pocketbook available too (I think it''s got Debian and something else on it''s cover CDs).

I don''t know about international shipping, but you can look yourself at www.pocketbooks.net.au.

Now all I need is a computer good enough to run Linux (I think it''s a problem with my DiamondMM MX300 soundcard...)

Simon Wilson,
XEOS Digital Development
XEOS Digital Development - Supporting the independant and OpenSource game developers!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement