🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Getting Linux

Started by
13 comments, last by Azra 22 years, 10 months ago
How exactly do i get linux ive downloaded the huge 600mb+ files but they are in .Iso format what do i do then? Have no fear for you are not here
Have no fear for you are not here
Advertisement
Burn them on to a CD.

~~~~~~~~~~
Martee
ReactOS - an Open-source operating system compatible with Windows NT apps and drivers
Shouldnt there be a comma after "fear" in your signature?

"I''''ve sparred with creatures from the nine hells themselves... I barely plan on breaking a sweat here, today."~Drizzt Do''''Urden
------------------------------Put THAT in your smoke and pipe it
Or you can boot the kernel from disk and mount the ISO image as a partition, but that''s not exactly easy (I''ve never done it, and I''m not exactly sure how to do it off the top of my head). But, the traditional and easy way is to burn the ISO''s to CD or buy the distro at a store.

[Resist Windows XP''s Invasive Production Activation Technology!]
I just installed the Slackware distro (the .iso, not ZipSlack or BigSlack) from my C drive without any problems. There''s a bit in the installation FAQ that explains how to do it using loopback. Piece of cake. The only problem I have is that whenever I recompile the kernel I lose my network card. Can''t figure that one out.
quote: Original post by Aldacron
I just installed the Slackware distro (the .iso, not ZipSlack or BigSlack) from my C drive without any problems. There''s a bit in the installation FAQ that explains how to do it using loopback. Piece of cake. The only problem I have is that whenever I recompile the kernel I lose my network card. Can''t figure that one out.

Seems like you are removing the support for network cards while recompiling.
Hello from my world
The thing is that when i double clikc on the it brings up the open with window because my comp doesnt recognize the file type

Of course it won''t. Most distros of Linux can''t be installed from Windows. The ISO file is just a large file representing the entire contents of a CD. In no way is it a program. If you don''t have a CD writer and/or CD burning software installed, you can''t do much with the ISO from Windows. You''ll have to do as others mentioned and mount the ISO as a partition. I don''t know how to do that though.

-Goku
SANE Productions Homepage
Azra - which distribution are you using? That makes a difference. For example, with RedHat you can reboot the machine into DOS mode, run autoboot.bat, and tell the setup program where to find the iso.

With Slackware, you just create a boot and root disk, boot with the boot disk, then pop in the root disk and mount the iso. Not difficult at all.

Tell us which distro you''ve got

flame_warrior - I wish it were that simple. I did not remove network support from the config, and I also tried compiling my card''s driver both as part of the kernel and as a module. It craps out when dhcpd runs. Can''t find the device. I suppose it''s a driver thing, but the original config works fine. I''ll keep it for now (2.2.19 kernel) until I can figure it out.
Wouldn''t it just be easier to buy it from a store? I mean you can get most distros of linux for ~$50. Then you get manuals, and some extra goodies usually. for a few bucks save yourself a headache. But thats up to you! I''ve thought it over and thats what would work best for me. . .

_BUSTER_

www.dotspot.cjb.net

http://www.theatermonkey.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement