🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Need help with Graphics Card and PSU!!

Started by
4 comments, last by benryves 13 years, 6 months ago
Hi can anyone recommend a reasonable PSU and a middle/low end graphics card to go with it? I'm just looking for an upgrade from on-board stuff. Would appreciate any advice anyone can offer ;o)
Advertisement
How much are you willing to spend?
Hi! Thanks for the reply (I voted you up ;o) ) about £50 on the PSU and £40 on the card if that's helpful ;o)
I'd swap those numbers around ;)

If you are not running a powerful graphics card you don't need a powerful PSU. Unless you have some really wierd configuration (like 10x raid'd hdds) any brand name PSU of a reasonable wattage should do fine (e.g. http://www.ebuyer.com/product/185183 or the next one up if you can stretch)

As for the graphics card I always buy (disclaim: this is my personal opinion!) NVidia. Goto here:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-radeon-hd-6870-radeon-hd-6850,2782-7.html
Find the highest NVidia card on the list that you can afford - thats your graphics card.

A 7800 GTX you can get within budget easy but make sure you can't get an 7900 or 8800 before buying.

If you dont mind my asking, what are you planning to do with it? I ask only because those graphics cards are 'pretty good', but your asking on a Game development forum, and I would guess for alot of what people do on here 'pretty good' may not be 'good enough'.
That's a wonderful reply thanks for taking the time to write it. I voted you up! ;o)

I've ordered a PSU and I'm going to go and buy one of the cards you recommended. The card is for World War Two Online so is not particularly demanding by today's standards. I just need a reasonable upgrade from on board stuff.

Thanks so much ;o)

Chris
With regard to NVIDIA you may find this recent thread interesting.

[Website] [+++ Divide By Cucumber Error. Please Reinstall Universe And Reboot +++]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement