🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Beginner's Resources

Started by
4 comments, last by SpiritCat 22 years, 10 months ago
Hi: I am looking for pointers to some good books and websites with tutorials on game dev for Linux. I have a strong background in C++ and about 6 months exp with Linux and would like to try my hand at game development. Right now I am trying to research the subject but all I find is info on win game dev. Any help in pointing me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, SpiritCat
Advertisement
Check out the Linux Documentation Project at www.linuxdoc.org they have guides and how-to''s for a lot of stuff, and I remember seeing a programming one there.

Personally, I find it kind of hard to sift through the docs on their site, however it is the most comprehensive, and the version of the LDP that should have came with your linux distro seems slightly easier to navigate.

------ I just quicly looked, and there is an entire section on how-tos for programming (just go to how-to''s, and then catogorized list)

I think there is some article on GDnet as well.

--Drakonite
Doh! sorry, the link was wrong!

www.linuxdoc.org

That one should work.
Thanks, I will check it out.

SpiritCat
you might try linuxnewbie.org.

really, the only difference between game dev on linux or windows is the tools you use to code, and the api's you use. on windows you pretty much have directx, opengl, win32 system calls, and MFC (cringe). in linux you have opengl, sdl, clanlib, curses if you want ascii, xlib, motif, qt, gtk and more. search around for some of what ive listed - opengl/sdl/clanlib are game and 3d oriented, while the others are GUI api's you would use for general applications and dialogs. qt is used by KDE, gtk is used by gnome, xlib is just xwindows, motif is found on unix systems, and curses is often used for graphics in the console.

saai

similar questions have been asked many times in this forum, search through it and read the various threads and replies.

Edited by - saai on August 23, 2001 9:44:46 PM
QT, Motif, GTK+, etc are not really game friendly
libraries. They''re often used in application frame
works.

If your just interested in making 2D puzzels and stuff
or some classic game clone then those libs might
help but if you want something more modern you might
need to go with Xlib/OpenGL. GLUT and SDLs are good
for beginners too.

With regards to yer initial question, you really
should have an experienced Linux game developer
on ready5 consult.
Tara Milana - WP Entertainmenthttp://wolfpack.twu.net/Comp graphics artist and programmer.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement