🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

3rd monitor

Started by
3 comments, last by freeworld 13 years, 9 months ago
Hey all, i recently bought another graphics card in order to allow using 3-4 monitors. I had heard that i didnt need SLI or xfire if im not using it for gaming, ie only 1 of my monitors is used for gaming, will just want 3 to 4 to enable having lots of windows open and visible while programming. got a nvidia 5500fx PCI and a geforce 420 (or 480, not sure off top of my head) PCI-Ex16. Unfortunately when i install driver for new graphics card it seems to want to use the same driver to run the original one and the display cocks up. Is this a normal issue that is easy to get around?

Stu
Advertisement
This is the only way I've ever seen three screens done:

http://www.matrox.com/graphics/en/products/gxm/th2go/

I'm not sure Windows supports using multiple graphics cards as part of the multi-display setup.

Check out Super Play, the SNES inspired Game Engine: http://www.superplay.info

Quote: Original post by cdoty
I'm not sure Windows supports using multiple graphics cards as part of the multi-display setup.

It does.

But unless the cards are from different IHVs then you'll have to use one driver set. However, with Windows 7 it is possible to run AMD and NV hardware at the same time (I'm doing it currently).

Also, AMD's newest GPU based cards can drive 3 or 6 monitors from one card (depending on the card you buy), the only requirement is that one of those monitors needs to use the display port connector to drive it (you can get converters from Display Port to DVI).
Quote: Original post by cdotyI'm not sure Windows supports using multiple graphics cards as part of the multi-display setup.
It has for a while, I had 2 nVidia cards on XP, Im 90% sure anyway. They weren't the same card but might have used the same driver... I've also had my onboard graphics enabled while running a dedicated graphics card.

www.simulatedmedicine.com - medical simulation software

Looking to find experienced Ogre & shader developers/artists. PM me or contact through website with a contact email address if interested.

New 5 series ATI cards can do 3 monitors from one card. google "eyefinity".
[ dev journal ]
[ current projects' videos ]
[ Zolo Project ]
I'm not mean, I just like to get to the point.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement