🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Questions about a database server....

Started by
0 comments, last by Ashaman73 13 years, 9 months ago
I am trying to design a database server for a game I am wanting to write. I have planned for perhaps a little overkill on the storage side, but, considering the plans....

I was going to use a 2 TB Hard-Drive Disk for storage of static data, and a solid-state drive for the more frequently used dynamic data.

I'm still not sure which drive I would be putting the OS and database software on yet.

Some questions have arisen. What would be optimum RAM considering the amount of data stored? Will I need to cache the data from the solid-state drive?(likely I think). I was thinking a dual-core Intel should be sufficient, what is your opinion?

Software used will be either Gentoo Linux with MySQL, or Windows Server with MSSQL. The machine will be totally dedicated to storing data.

Just after opinions, sugestions, and feedback. Thanx
Advertisement
You should be more concrete about what your requirements are. Large disc space is the least important factor in a db server design.

1. how many queries are expected ?
2. large/small queries ?
3. how many tables are expected ?
4. how large are the tables ?
5. how many entries per table are expected ?
6. what is the max duration of an query ?
7. what is the number of expected concurrent clients ?
8. is a slowing down acceptable at peak times ?

When you're just storing some movies or other media data, a low end server is enough. But when you plan to provide a db server for a MMORPG with frequently queries per player and you want to store about 1-2 TB of game data(!) a high performance server would be better.

Take a look at raids, a raid 5 for performance and reliability would be a good idea. Instead of buying 1-2 larger, more expensive disc, consider buying cheaper, smaller discs for a raid 5.

More "professional" db servers has lot of ram (>16/32gb), lot of cpus (>16 multi core cpus) and very fast storage.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement