🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Sound

Started by
0 comments, last by GameDev.net 24 years, 9 months ago
Hi

Can someone tell me how to setup a soundcard within Linux.

I have a SB Live.

I want to program in Linux, can I assume that Linux is more stable than WIN98?

What are the best programming tools I need for Linux? Surely DX is not available for Linux..or is it?

Thankyou

Advertisement
>Can someone tell me how to setup a soundcard
>within Linux.

Sure. I'll try and give you a little help here, but if this isn't enough try reading the Sound-Howto at http://linux.com/howto/Sound-HOWTO.html

>I have a SB Live.

Ok, I'm pretty sure you have to download the binary only modules from creative labs. The URL looks like http://developer.soundblaster.com/linux/ You should just have to download to a temp directory like /tmp, then 'tar zxvf filename', move to the directory it creates, then I do believe it has a script you need to run in that directory "./install_emu10k1". After that you're on your own, though there is a README in the directory. Sorry I can't help you more, but I don't have a SBLive! myself.

>I want to program in Linux, can I assume
>that Linux is more stable than WIN98?

Yes, indubitably.

>What are the best programming tools I need
>for Linux? Surely DX is not available for
>Linux..or is it?

SDL is pretty good, take a look at the one of the previous post "help finding game programming resources..." for more info.

gcc is a good compiler, makefiles are your friends (though you might want to pick up the oreilly book on make), ddd is a most excellent debugger, as for a source editor, vim, emacs, or coral is supposed to be good.

Hope this helps.

------------------
Dane Jackson - zuvembi@mindless.com
The meek shall inherit what they're bloody well given.
And be thankful for it.

Dane Jackson - zuvembi@mindless.com
The meek shall inherit what they're bloody well given.
And be thankful for it.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement