🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Computer trouble

Started by
2 comments, last by Don Carnage 14 years, 4 months ago
I just bought a new computer, but I'm having problems with it and was hoping somewhere here could help me narrow down the issue. Specs: CPU: Intel i7, 920 RAM: 3x 2GB Corsair DDR3 (1333MHz) Graphics: GeForce GTX275 Motherboard: Asrock X58 Extreme Power: 750W supply The problem is that after having been on for about 30min the screen image freezes, but all fans keep operating. This happens consistently even when I just enter the BIOS and look at the HW monitor. According to the HW monitor the CPU and MB temperature are both <40deg C (~100 deg F). I have tried disconnecting the HD and DVD drive, replaced the graphics card and RAM with components I know to be working. None of these have changed anything. If I restart the computer right after it freezes, then no image appears on screen and I get some beeps (2short, then pause, then 8short). If I wait a little longer it turns on alright, but the time it takes for it to freeze is considerably reduced (sometimes to 2-4min). I'm not really sure what to do to find the issue.
Advertisement
The motherboard's manual should list the beep codes. (and debug led codes if the board has one)
This space for rent.
Quote: Original post by CTar
(2short, then pause, then 8short)

Your motherboard manual will tell you what this means!
This is not a hardware tech support site, please check out the internets for a troubleshooting guide for your board, like the following brief one:
Quote: Asrock support mail
Hi,

Try to find out if the mainboard will give you any beep code. Try to test the mainboard outside of the computer case. Remove all the devices that connect it on the mainboard. Only device need to connect on the mainboard is the Processor and Processor cooling fan, and make sure all the power connector are fully plug in 12V rail connector (4pin / 8pin), and 24(20)pin ATX power connector. If you do hear the beep code like 1 long beep and follow by 3 short beep. Please insert 1 single memory module, and go ahead insert the video card to the PCI-E slot. Below is the troubleshooting guide. If you still can’t get the problem resolve please give us a call at 909 590 8308.

1 Short Beep
One beep is good! Everything is ok, that is if you see things on the screen. If you don't see anything, check your monitor and video card first. Is everything connected? If they seem fine, your motherboard has some bad chips on it. First reset the SIMM's and reboot. If it does the same thing, one of the memory chips on the motherboard are bad, and you most likely need to get another motherboard since these chips are soldered on.
1 Long, 3 Short Beeps
You've probably just added memory to the motherboard since this is a conventional or extended memory failure. Generally this is caused by a memory chip that is not seated properly. Reseat the memory chips.
1 Long, 8 Short Beeps
Display / retrace test failed. Reseat the video card.

Try to find out if other people have had this problem (and maybe even solved it!)

If all else fails, contact Asrock support.

P.S.: did you try reseating the video card?
It is I, the spectaculous Don Karnage! My bloodthirsty horde is on an intercept course with you. We will be shooting you and looting you in precisely... Ten minutes. Felicitations!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement