🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Linux Redhat10 Pemission Folder k3b

Started by
14 comments, last by Arianmd 14 years, 5 months ago
Dear all, I have written a data DVD by k3b and now that I paste DVD on my system I have limitation in order to read and write on it's folders. I tried to set their permission but it's not possible. I mean that when I set File access to Read and write and press Apply permission to enclosed files botton, after a few seconds my setting (Read and write) will be disappeared and it returns to ---. Can any one guide me, please? Thanks
Advertisement
Moved to the Unix forum, as it has nothing whatsoever to do with Software Engineering.

Wielder of the Sacred Wands
[Work - ArenaNet] [Epoch Language] [Scribblings]

su[man man][man chown]chown Arianmd:Arianmd yourdiskmv yourdisk yourFolder/

or

su[man rm]rm yourdisk

The []-parts are optional.
Excuse me,
Could you explain more, if it's possible for you.
Thanks
I wonder how you could copy a dvd image onto a file-system or folder that you hav no permissions for.

Anyway, am I right that you want to delete that image now?
I have only one user account on my system that is different from administrator, but in fact I am it's administrator. Please guide me,
Am I administrator or not?!
Root owner returns to administrator?

Regarding to your guide:
I changed the folder's owner to root. Now what should I do?
Note that I don't want to delete that!!!
I just want to change it's permission to read and write so that I can utilize that.
Root IS the administrator. Change the owner to your username.

When you use the GUI you are not root, so you don't own the folder, so you can't change permissions.
As I said when it's owner is user (not root) it is not possible to change its permission. So I should log in as administrator in bash ($ su) and then try to change it's permission. Is it true? If yes how?
Thanks alot
Quote: Regarding to your guide:
I changed the folder's owner to root. Now what should I do?

No, my advice was to chown Arianmd:Arianmd yourdisk, not to chown the folder, and then to mv yourdisk yourFolder/. Other advices were man man, man chown, man mv.

-

You really want to change the owner of that disk to the user you normally use. root is the administrator of a unix/linux system, and users of unix/linux do not normally work with admin permissions. They only elevate to root when they have to.

And yes, on many linux distributions, the easiest way to do something like that is to go to the bash, su, do something, exit or CTRL+D. This is because many distros disable root-login in the graphical login screen for security reasons.

To open the bash, fly to the Application-Menu and find something like "Bash", "Root Terminal", "Terminal" or so. If you find no "Root Terminal", choose another one. Once you are on the bash line, type su to become root.

It seems like you can need further advices:
* Linux is not Windows
* Quite vast intro to Linux
* Another one

You might find some tutorials that feed your need better on google.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement