🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

x86 or 64-bit processor?

Started by
2 comments, last by phresnel 14 years, 6 months ago
Forgive me if this isn't the right place for this, but I didn't see a related topic for this kind of question. I do programming in VS2008 pro and I will be using 3D Studio Max 2009 or maybe Maya 2009 on my system. These are pretty much the most I use my computer for and the occasional game which I am sure are optimized for 32-bit, but anyways to my question. I was thinking about upgrading from Vista Ultimate 32-bit to Windows 7 because I heard it was way better in performance, anyways should I just upgrade to the 64-bit edition as well or should I stick with the 32-bit edition. I understand the RAM factor and all that, but I want to know why should or why shouldn't I. I built my PC and I know the hardware is compatible with 64-bit. So what should I do?
Advertisement
If you need more RAM that a 32-bit OS can access, then by all means go for 64-bit.

Most 32-bit software will run just fine; there are some troubles if your legacy software assumes certain things about the system (hardcoded paths, not checking for registry and file access) but you can virtualize around those in several ways. In addition, the "7" bootloader allows you to boot from a virtual drive so you can easily run a full legacy OS on the side if you want. Autodesk's products run just fine on 64-bit systems.

64-bit systems have other benefits too, like a more secure process environment assisted by hardware, more registers for heavy-duty processing, and the mandatory requirement to sign all drivers for increased system protection (on Windows).

Niko Suni

I'd say go 64-bit, if for no other reason than you'll probably have to make the jump someday, and being ready for it now is better than being unprepared for it later.

Also, I've moved this thread over to the Hardware Discussion forum.

Wielder of the Sacred Wands
[Work - ArenaNet] [Epoch Language] [Scribblings]

I'd say if you are interested in CPU software rendering techniques, get a amd64/x64 cpu.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement